1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asked to resign TLR having gone to a four day week but...

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by monica17, May 5, 2011.

1. Last school year I asked to go part time which was granted on the condition I gave up my TLR. This I did. However since september I have still been carrying out all the duties I did for my TLR except I do not attend meetings. One of my duties, as head of PHSE has been taken over by another member of staff, however I am still called upon to support this member of staff.
    I expected to be replaced, but this has not been the case, and I have continued to act as HOD.

I would like to know do any schools employ TLR's who are part time?
    And
    Would you ask for your TLR back, if in my shoes?

Monica
    If I had not carried out any of the work required the department would have gone down the pan.

2. Last school year I asked to go part time which was granted on the condition I gave up my TLR. This I did. However since september I have still been carrying out all the duties I did for my TLR except I do not attend meetings. One of my duties, as head of PHSE has been taken over by another member of staff, however I am still called upon to support this member of staff.
    I expected to be replaced, but this has not been the case, and I have continued to act as HOD.

I would like to know do any schools employ TLR's who are part time?
    And
    Would you ask for your TLR back, if in my shoes?

Monica
    If I had not carried out any of the work required the department would have gone down the pan.

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Your school would be within the law to give you the TLR until a permanent appointment is made (pro rata as with all part-timers with a TLR) and you should negotiate what duties you will continue to undertake. Meanwhile you could press for the appointment to be made permanent. If you do additional work on a voluntary basis, where is the motivation for the school to pay you for the work you do? If the department does go down the pan whose fault (and whose actual problem) would it be?

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Don't do the duties associated with the TLR. If you are not being paid, they cannot make you.
    Then the school should not have requested that you abandon your TLR and not replaced you.
    They are allowing this situation to persist because you are still doing the work. Where is the incentive for (short-sighted) SMT to replace you are doing the duties?