1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asked to move from WJEC to OCR because of EBacc

Discussion in 'Classics' started by jetgirl, Feb 14, 2011.

1. I have been teaching the WJEC Level 2 courses to my students this year, it's been really popular and the students really enjoy it. However, next year it looks like I am going to have to go back to OCR because the GCSE fits into the EBacc whereas the Level 2 doesn't.
    Has anyone else been put in this position, and what are you going to do about it?

2. There have been murmurings but we are determined to keep the WJEC. There is a campaign to press the Education Select Committee's E-Bac review to recognise WJEC certificates alongside OCR GCSE, so it may well come to pass that they ARE included in Ebac anyway. You can give evidence of the benefits of WJEC certificates to both numbers taking Latin at KS4 and their enjoyment (and thus likelihood of continuing to KS5) here:
    http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/education-committee/news/new-inquiry-announced-e-bac/
    The more of us who provide evidence to the committee, the more likely the WJEC certificates are to be recognised. After all they have the same status as IGCSEs, ie they are Level 1 and 2 certificates. (IGCSE is not a designation recognised in the UK, officially, strangely enough, so IGCSEs, like WJEC Certificates, are simply Level 1 and 2 certifiates).