1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asked to move classes halfway through the term

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Charl218, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Charl218

Charl218 New commenter

Hi,

I have just been asked by the head if I would consider moving in to the Reception class, a few weeks in to a new term. I have worked in Reception for years in previous schools and am really enjoying being in year 1/2 for the change of pace and I also get on with the teacher really well and we are making lots of future plans for our classroom. Do I have any right to say no or do I have to go in there? I normally do anything I am asked but really feel I wouldn't enjoy it and just the thought makes me dread it!! Thanks for any advice!

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi Charl218. This is a difficult one and I feel for you. You could try telling the Head how much you are enjoying working in Y1/2 and how you really feel you are having an impact on their learning - quote specific children you have already built up a good relationship with. Also get the class teacher on your side and perhaps she/he will talk to the Head and say how much she values your input and what a difference you are making. But, at the end of the day, the Head will decide - and we all have no choice but to go along with it. People are quite often moved during the year at our school. Hope it works out for you.