1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asked/ No told to go into school on days off

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by yodaami2, Jun 19, 2020.

1. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I’m part time. We’re back at school now teaching year 10 and 12. The rota has me in on days I would not normally teach. A general email says that this can’t be helped. Any thoughts? To me it’s like them telling a full timer to come in on Saturday ( one of their non-working days) any thoughts?
    I’m still doing lessons for all the classes I teach on line. I’m fuming and am putting together a response.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  2. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

'Thank you for the offer of paid supply work on ***days and ***days. Due to other commitments on those days, I must decline your offer, but I am of course available to be on the rota, in proportion to my part-time hours, on [normal working] days.'

3. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

If you are not committed to be doing something else in the days you are being asked to worknow, I think I'd tell them that you'll do it, but only during the current crisis -and earn some goodwill. If you can't because of other commitments you need to speak to your HT.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I wouldn't word it quite like this as it comes over a tad passive-aggressive, but in normal circumstances something like this would be appropriate.

If you did have other commitments.

But these are not normal times.

You would probably be better off taking this approach. It's not for long, and SLT are overwhelmed with emails from the DfE, sometimes half a dozen in the middle of the night, some 50 pages long, some contradictory.

They are stretched to the limit and beyond. Give them a break, give them a hand, it's only for a short time.

Best wishes.

5. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I really don’t mind giving a hand. To be asked would be good. But they have lost all good will by insisting that it will happen. I volunteered to go go in over the holidays. We were asked! Not directed to work those. Also I was not having to work on line in those weeks. Effectively I will be working full time for part time pay. Teaching on line on my normal days and teaching year 10 and 12 ( who I’ve not taught this year) on the days I’m in school. Not happy!

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I am doing one extra day than most for the next few weeks as we have one member of staff who simply cannot come in yet.

These are different times - do as you are asked.

nomad, Pomza, Flanks and 4 others like this.
  7. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

If you do decide to go in get clarification of the hours you will be paid for.

8. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Key word here”asked” I’ve not been asked, I’ve been told.

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter

This.

10. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Most part-timers DO have other commitments on the days they don't teach, which is why they are part-time!

It's a bit unfair to suggest the OP should 'do as they're asked' as they are not being 'asked', they are being 'told'; and they are being treated differently to full time staff, who presumably are not being asked to come in on their days off.

11. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I’ve also been told that “ these are different times” when directed to do the same number of sessions as the full time staff at the start of this crisis. That was eventually overturned and part time staff were rerotaed to do a proportionate number of sessions, by the HT. Different times should not mean that part time staff MUST work same hours as full time.

12. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you're being asked to work more than your normal hours, you're quite within reason to point it out. Consider whether you'd be happy to do it if they increase your contract, or whether you need them to remove either some of your rota slots or some of the groups you are responsible for teaching remotely.

13. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Does your contract state for example you have a 0.4 position or does it specify exact days?

If it is the former then they are allowed to change the days you work, and the current situation could be reasonable grounds for doing so. However, if you are also still teaching other classes then that may take you over what you are contracted to work. In which case I would point this out as it may have been overlooked.

If it is the later then they can not change this without your permission. In which case if you do not want to change them then you should let them know e.g. "I received you email about the changes to timetables, however I am only contracted to work X and Y days and I am currently unable to work outside these days at this present moment in time".

Whilst times are slightly different, employment laws have not changed.

14. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

0.5 but respectfully I think you are wrong here; they can’t change days during the school year, I could be working another job on the days I am not in this school! I’m not but ... that’s not the point I have other commitments.
    Yes they’ve overlooked the fact that I’m teaching on line at all. The rota is drawn up by a member of the office staff, who has little to no comprehension of what we are doing. And the HT seems to be quite good at distancing himself (lol) from wild decisions.

“ employment laws haven’t changed “ tell that to the student nurses who have been **** on!

I really should get some perspective on it all though, I’m alive, well, in employment, near the end of a wonderful career, not a nurse, and not a student nurse. Anyway that wine’s nit gonna drink itself. Thanks for all your input. I will coddle something together in response.

15. sanriku

sanriku New commenter

Totally disagree. These are different times and we’re all working hard but those of us who work part time do do for a reason. We aren’t paid for full time hours although we shoulder the same exam responsibilities, tutor groups and parents evenings. I have a child and two other jobs - you don’t know what the OP’s situation is.

Op - My school tried to timetable me on one of my days off - I explained I couldn’t do it but volunteered to deliver online lessons on my other day off in the interests of being flexible. They listened and moved the lesson to a working day.

16. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Good that they were flexible, but I still think they **** on you. That’s s Hat. Taking advantage of a nice guy.

17. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

This is one of the most civil threads I have seen in years on TES, nice to see professionals sharing different views the right way for a change!

Lalad, chelsea2, yodaami2 and 2 others like this.
  18. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

It is really unfair telling the OP to “do her bit.” For the most part, part time staff work disproportionate hours anyway!

I think I would assume it is a mistake or mix up and contact with this as the assumption - just a “Good morning X, I notice I’ve been put down to work Tuesdays and Thursdays and my working days are Monday to Wednesday, could the rota please be revised? Thanks”

Then if they get back to you ordering you in, you can decide what you want to do.

I’m the same, I’m happy to do anything I’m asked to do, but there’s a world of difference between a polite request and an order.

19. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

well, tbf, I have seen that too, which is equally unacceptable. I did it at the time, but it still makes me angry

Just tell the you have other commitments on your non working days

So many people are struggling to do their best. I've been working my socks off. My reward is more and more work being dumped on me from above. I am now writing reports for childen I have never met, etc.

There seems to be a competition developing between some management teams, "look how high we can make our staff jump during lock down - beat that school-down-the-road!"

personally, I don't see anything good coming from letting ourselves get walked all over and dangled on the end of a jerking string. I'm certainly reaching the end of my compliance.

Catgirl1964 and FriarLawrence like this.
  20. costermonger

costermonger Occasional commenter

I have enormous respect for you TheoGriff, but I must disagree with you.
    If you allow management to dictate that you come in on non-working days, it will not be short term. They will continue to call you in at their convenience forever. The favour will very rapidly become a normal then a requirement.
    Managers may be receiving lots of emails, but that's their job. They don't get carte blanche to ignore the rules. As management haven't given staff a break in the 20 years I have been a teacher, I see no reason at all to 'help them out' now.