1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ask to write a proposal for Computing provision in KS3

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ictLad, Oct 15, 2015.

1. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

Good morning,

I have recently moved schools to become a HoD of computing at a private school (boo hiss). At the moment the school only has computing lessons in year 9, and thereafter it becomes an optional subject. Thankfully SLT seem quite pro computing and have asked me to come up with a short (2 page) proposal of why we should have computing lessons in year 7 and 8.

I am wondering if anyone has ever had to do this before and could offer any advice? I would also be grateful for any suggestions as to stats/data that I could use in my proposal. I am going to go in with the good coders make good problem solvers route but any other arguments to back up my main argument are gratefully received - I may have missed something out.

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

In the near future 90% of jobs - in careers such as engineering, accountancy, nursing, medicine, art, architecture, and many more - will require some level of digital skills.

http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/life-and-work/skills-jobs

Yes I know it is a bit sound-bite but...

...and yes I do know that they probably mean "can use PowerPoint "

DEmsley likes this.
  3. wiv7

wiv7 New commenter

When the government scrapped ict for computing there was lots of talk about why. Try looking at goves speech at bett a few years back. He went for this due to business leaders, next gen report and other reports but i cant remember their names . All of which will say why. I imagine slt will want to hear things like 'the government said this about the subject in ks3', this report said this blah blah, it would have more of an impact than you as an individual, no disrespect. Hope that helps.

4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

In an independent school, I'd have thought you might be better to play down the supposed vocation benefits (which I believe to be a red-herring), and play up the benefits to students logical thinking and organisational skills. Also point out that programming is a skill that needs to be practised, like a language or musical instrument, and one year at KS3 with a few weeks' programming isn't going to make a student sufficiently proficient to complete the GCSE coursework.

DEmsley likes this.