1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ask not for whom the bell tolls

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Once worked in a school that stopped using bells. it wasn't a problem once you got used to it. Did prefer it.

3. janemk

janemk New commenter

I don't like bells either. I was amused by this though - "Sally Cavers, director of Scotland’s additional support for learning advice service, Enquire, said that a bell could be "distressing" and suggested replacing it with flashing lights or motivational dance music." :)

Also, ditch the continual assessments and league tables and inspections and teacher workload and scrutiny to improve children's mental health while we're at it...

delnon likes this.
  4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I've worked in many schools without bells, it can be an advantage provided every room has an accurate clock. You don't get the mass exiting of rooms all at once instead you get a gradual exit which causes less congestion in the corridors.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I used to love watching my new 6th form College students getting used to the lack of bells in their first couple of weeks. They were quite discombobulated at first :D.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We went belless a few years back. However many kids used it as an excuse to be late for lessons or late back from break/lunch and so we went to a partial belless day. Changeover lessons are belless as are the start of break and lunch. But we have a bell for the start of school, end of break and end of lunch.

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

What a load of carp!

9. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

You don't need a bell.

I must admit I thought the post was going to be a bit more profound.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne (1572-1631)

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I have worked in a couple of schools that didn't have a bell - worked well providing there was an accurate clock in each & every teaching room. Easily visible for the teacher...

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Actually particularly for children with autism loud bells can be a real problem. They like to stick to the rules re timings but often find raucous bells very disturbing.

12. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

the point about accurate clocks is well made. For some reason, few schools seem able to get all their clocks to read the same time for even a few days.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Absolute clappers!

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

[​IMG]

Ding Dong!

katykook likes this.
  15. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Getting rid of bells where I worked was surprisingly easy, although I did have a few Pavlovian moments. I had to train myself not to say 'wait for the bell'.

16. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

During my time as a teacher I came to detest bells. Not just for the irritating sound, but for what they represent. I often found that schools with a quiet bell tone or no bell at all often had calm atmosphere. However, I tend to agree with John Taylor Gatto on the subject of bells:

Insofar as it doesn't matter if a pupil is in the middle of writing a brilliant story, poem or piece of music; the bell has rung, they must stop. It doesn't matter if they've had a sudden flash of inspiration or have just summoned their muse - the bell has rung, they must stop.

Saved by the bell. Onto the next classroom to do more stuff to tick more boxes. Bells are a tool to condition and to help keep the conveyor belt of the school day moving. They help to keep work fragmentary and shallow. Bells help to breed indifference. Why care? The bell will ring shortly and it will be onto the next classroom to do more stuff to tick more boxes. Repeat ad nauseam...

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So what you are saying is that because you cannot time manage your lessons the next teacher must have a pupil arrive late because they had to finish their work for you?

phlogiston likes this.
  18. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

I'm saying that maybe it's time to review all of these archaic systems we use in schools. Learning could be a little less rigid and factory-like and a little more flexible. Yes, bells have a practical use but students also have to learn to manage their own time and work without them.

19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

When I was at school (60s!) The teachers would say 'The bell is a signal to us teachers that the lesson has ended and not you lot.'

We didn't believe it either.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

End of day assembly, bell goes for the end of school but the speaker drones on oblivious. You can cut the mounting outrage, resentment and sheer hatred with a knife!