1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ashes to Ashes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by RedQuilt, Jan 11, 2016.

1. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Indeed he was.

With the possible exception of 'The Laughing Gnome,' of course.

I trust you are not asking @Mangleworzle "to lament the passing of strangers who managed to be more well known than most for reasons that were nothing to do with their own worthiness and more to do with what their job happened to be."

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  3. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

A real icon in many ways.

RedQuilt likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wow.... just saw this myself... 69...

He just released a new album as well?

nick909 and RedQuilt like this.
  5. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Sad news.

RedQuilt likes this.
  6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I've tried to airbrush the Gnome from my memory ;).

No, I'm not asking Mangleworzle anything in this instance. I'm lamenting Bowie's passing because his music formed a significant part of the soundtrack of my life and he influenced me as a musician in some ways.

kash645, ValentinoRossi and cissy3 like this.
  7. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Just stunned. So very sad.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Very sad. Always ahead of his time and ground breaking in every way.
    Aladdin Sane and Ziggy Stardust were part of my growing up years.
    A shock as well as sad.
    His music will never be forgotten.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

He wrote some good songs

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Loved his early stuff - those songs will be played and remembered as long as anyone's I think. Taken too soon. Cancer is a real b*****.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  11. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Couldn't leave the house this morning until it had been established that Major Tom couldn't hear them, no.

12. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

After Marc Bolan died it was David Bowie who quietly ensured that Marc's son was financially OK, as the bulk of Marc's millions was tied up in an obscure trust fund and unavailable.

johnnymitchell, InkyP and RedQuilt like this.
  13. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Oh my goodness.... what a shock! I had just bought his new album for MrREMfan,,,,,, and we played it all the way home from Stoke on the weekend. I had still hoped that he might do some show dates after Kate Bush emerging the other year. I knew about the Bolan situation and all credit to the man for that.

:(

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Certainly influential, innovative, iconic and the soundtrack to the youth of many. We didn't hear so much of his charitable work, but it was apparently extensive.

I wish I'd seen the V&A exhibition too. Not just the music, the style, everything about him. A sad day.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  15. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Some great songs made greater by use of the world's best session musicians in his solo days. Not sure I rate him as seriously influential as his whole arrival time was full of excellent and expansive musicians. I think he drew more attention to himself with his image and became a Freddie Mercury type - loved by the media.

'China Girl' is one of the best ever songs, methinks....although more down to the drummer, Dennis Davis.

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Bit of a snidey dig there. I don't think David Bowie was in quite the same category as Stewpot in this regard.

For me at least Bowie is someone I enormously admired and had some influence on my life rather than being simply a name I recognise from a few decades back.

Sad news that will touch a great many people.

cissy3 likes this.
  17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

He was/is a part of my history and my youth. I don't care how influential he was in a wider sense @dumpty and @nomad but he was a big influence on me.

ValentinoRossi, cissy3 and RedQuilt like this.
  18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Are you serious?

aspensquiver and johnnymitchell like this.
  19. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I'm not sure why so many people decry "The Laughing Gnome"
    Given his sense of humour, the stated influences on his music and the time it was released (with all that comes from that) it was a pretty good attempt.
    And he certainly enjoyed recording it. Just listen

20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Unlike many of his contemporaries, Bowie managed to stay relevant. I liked his work. Husband's gutted.

cissy3 likes this.