1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ashers Baking Company: Common sense prevails

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Congratulations to Amy & Daniel McArthur and all their supporters.

Christian bakers win 'gay cake' Supreme Court fight

[​IMG]

'Delivering the ruling, Supreme Court president Lady Hale said the couple did not refuse to make the cake because of Mr Lee's sexual orientation.

She said: "Their objection was to the message on the cake, not to the personal characteristics of Mr Lee or anyone else with whom he was associated.

"The bakers could not refuse to supply their goods to Mr Lee because he was a gay man or supported gay marriage, but that is quite different from obliging them to supply a cake iced with a message with which they profoundly disagreed."
    '
    News.sky.com, 10th October 2018.

I hope the McArthurs can now get on with their chosen business, serving all of their local community regardless of those who would impose a new sectarianism.

xmal, artboyusa, FormosaRed and 5 others like this.
  2. hairyfairy

hairyfairy New commenter

Perhaps, but in my admittedly limited experience common sense and fundamentalist Christianity do not always go together.

yodaami2 and mothorchid like this.
  3. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Occasional commenter

They are not fundamentalists. They are ordinary Christians and members of a mainstream church.

FormosaRed, colpee and Vince_Ulam like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I wouldn't celebrate just yet:

After the ruling, Lee said: “I’m very confused about what this actually means. We need certainty when you go to a business. I’m concerned that this has implications for myself and for every single person.”

The original decision to turn down his order had left him feeling like a “second-class citizen”, he said.

Lee said he would be considering his options, which could involve appealing to the European court of human rights in Strasbourg.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-bakery-that-refused-to-make-gay-wedding-cake

5. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

I don't know about (un)common sense, but it's refreshing when the law proves to be less of an ass than usual. Eventually.

6. Vince_Ulam

FormosaRed and Sir_Henry like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Crikey... he really wants them to ice that cake.

8. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I very much doubt that is true. I have no doubt he targeted this company in the hope they would turn him down so he could create an issue out of it.

9. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

10. hairyfairy

hairyfairy New commenter

Sparklesparkle
    They are not fundamentalists. They are ordinary Christians and members of a mainstream church.

I think it is a mainstream bible-thumping fundamentalist church. The bible is the 'inspired and inerrant word of God'

nomad likes this.
  11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

As a baker myself, if I get an enquiry for a cake I do not wish to make I do one of two things:
    a) say I'm booked or
    b) quote ridiculously high.
    If anyone refuses to bake a cake because they don't like the message/decorations...anything..........then saying you refuse because of XYZ is bound to land you in hot water!
    Where on earth is common sense hiding?

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Would that be the "Down with the gays, Say No to Popism, Hate your neighbour" branch, or the united child abuse and magdalene laundry wing?

13. florian gassmann

You may have no doubt, but the McArthurs themselves said he was one of their regular customers.

14. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

a ridiculous case, brought by idiots and now given more oxygen so the usual ****** could point at it and go "HA! its political correctness gone mad" "poor liberal snowflakes" "easily offended" (insert useless double standard term in here that is immediately then forgotten when they lose their minds over Dr Who with different organs or a french sandwich shop actually being french)

Glad its over, hope it never rears its head again

Free Speech is Free Speech - say what u want

Free Speech without consequence isn't, its not that hard for both sides

Glad they won

Stupid Case, hope they incurred a massive legal cost for wasting everyone time and money

border_walker likes this.
  15. florian gassmann

It's you and I who are paying: quarter of a million to the Equality Commission for their legal costs.
    The McArthur's bill of £200,000 is being underwritten by the Christian Institute.

The real winners are the lawyers, as usual.

CraigCarterSmith likes this.
  16. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Occasional commenter

You think wrong. They are Presbyterians. Surely you must know that all Christians, whatever their denomination, believe the bible to be the Word of God?

17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

*whispers* there's no such thing as free speech.

18. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

Wonder if the McArthurs would be willing to bake someone a cake that reproduces the cover to this book?

[​IMG]

Yup. That's Jesus in the background there.

monicabilongame likes this.
  19. Vince_Ulam

Which includes the right for each person to decide the content of their own speech free from social, legal or political compulsion.

Yes.

artboyusa and FormosaRed like this.
  20. hairyfairy

hairyfairy New commenter

Sparkle sparkle
    'all Christians, whatever their denomination, believe the bible to be theWord of God?'

I suppose that must be true. In that case I apologise. I now think I should have said that all Christian churches are fundamentalist.