1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asdan towards independence

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by bugbabe77, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Is anyone else teaching this course? Am struggling for resources and ideas. Anyone got anything they would like to share? Want to set up a chat forum to exchange ideas?

2. Is anyone else teaching this course? Am struggling for resources and ideas. Anyone got anything they would like to share? Want to set up a chat forum to exchange ideas?

3. which unit?

4. God, am teaching loads of units. Relationships is probably the hardest for me as I have the higher boys but am also doing personal safety, citizenship, making pictures, printing, using a computer, environment, horticulture, sport and leisure, sports studies, work awareness. Never taught Asdan before and the powers that be have noticed I'm struggling a bit. There aren't many resources or previous plans in my school to look at so was hoping someone could give me some inspiration.

5. jessed

jessed New commenter

I taught quite a few of these modules last year; personal safety we did role play, what to do if someone was unconscious, putting on bandages and practising dialling 999 and find the correct number to phone from a selection on a worksheet. We also watched videos and looked at pictures of different actions and matched it to a symbol of what emergency service to call.

I don't know if you have an ASDAN format but what we do is have a template (word document) which says the module title and evidence reference, next line is student name, module title and date. Then a large gap to display a picture and comment followed by the students name and tutor name.

As for making pictures I think we just did lots of varieties of making pictures; stamping, collage, copying a picture and we use the above format to record evidence. Same kind of thing for using a computer, also set up a carousel of activities; touch screen, laptop games, remote control car, switch access to a liquidiser or similar (maybe too easy for your students), DVD player etc. Ask students to circle their favourite on a worksheet and take pictures of them using the activity!

I've done LOTS of Asdan...ask away if you need to!

6. jessed

jessed New commenter

haha, no problem, I haven't got it on my laptop at home, you can email me: jessedmunds@hotmail.com to remind me and I will email you from school tomorrow!

All the best!

7. weens28

weens28 New commenter

I will be teaching this course in September, it will completely new for both me and the school. I would love to swap ideas. I am going on a training course on the 28th Feb. My email is wendy.lock@ntlworld.com.

8. hi wendy - sorry, only just picked up your reply. Have copied your email address and maybe we can share some ideas...;.

9. weens28

weens28 New commenter

That would be great! I'll contact you after the course on Tue.

10. Hi. I have been teaching this for nearly 18 months now. It was introduced by our new head. She asked me to take it on and I agreed but wouldn't have if I had known how much time and work it involved as there was nothing in place such as resources. However, I have lots of resources now and if you would like anything in particular , let me know. I tend to make my own worksheets, but there are lots of stuff on the internet, it's just having time to trawl it. Let me know if I can help.

11. Hi, I am doing Towards Independence- The Wider World and Independent living. I was wondering if you or anyone had any resources or ideas that you could share?
    Thanks

12. peppermint25

peppermint25 New commenter

Hello, I too have just started a new school and am faced when ASDAN for a number of my pupils. I am finding it rather overwhelming having never used ASDAN before and due to there being a lack of resources available at school. Could i trouble you dolores90 and jessed for any resources or help you have to give. I would very much appreciate it. Thanks so much in advance - mel.j.logan@gmail.com

13. hayben4

hayben4 New commenter

Would anyone mind sharing some resources and ideas with me? I am new to teaching ASDAN and would love to set up sharing with others. I am doing citizenship relationships personal safety money etc all towards independence.

Mycar likes this.
  14. Mycar

Mycar New commenter

I'm having the same problem. I would love to have some ideas and resources as well. Thanks!

15. hayben4

hayben4 New commenter

Are you able to share ideas? Can leave email.

16. Mycar

Mycar New commenter

Hi, thanks for your response.
    I`m going to teach Life skills to year 13 and year 14 next year . Do you have any resources for that age? (it's a special needs school)

17. JulesDaulby

JulesDaulby Occasional commenter TES SEND peer advisor

We teach ASDAN COPE, level 1 and level 2 if anyone would like to share or collaborate.

Is there an ASDAN resource area on TES Community?

Regards,

Jules