1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ASDAN resources - for a change

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by poppytoft, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Sorry to start a new thread but I really can't work out how to join in a forum that's already going.
    I am having nightmares. I have a classic group of lads who are disaffected and have been lumped together in ASDAN to keep them out of other lessons. I am struggling to find a way to engage them. I find the ASDAN provided resources are distinctly unimpressive and wondered if anyone new of anywhere that offered something more appealing! Part of the problem I have is whilst the boys are disaffected they are bright so many of the bronze / silver challenges are just not appropriate.
    Steph

2. Sorry to start a new thread but I really can't work out how to join in a forum that's already going.
    I am having nightmares. I have a classic group of lads who are disaffected and have been lumped together in ASDAN to keep them out of other lessons. I am struggling to find a way to engage them. I find the ASDAN provided resources are distinctly unimpressive and wondered if anyone new of anywhere that offered something more appealing! Part of the problem I have is whilst the boys are disaffected they are bright so many of the bronze / silver challenges are just not appropriate.
    Steph

3. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

Hello and welcome.
    Pick an appropriate forum from the list on the left and start a new topic in the same way that you just did. You may not get much response here so try that.
    Best wishes,
    Bev

4. Hi Steph,
    I became Subject Leader for ASDAN this year and so the course is new to me as well. I have a group of SEN and/or disaffected lads. I have had the opposite response to you though, mine LOVE ASDAN and talk about it all the time... so my suggestion is, don't use the schemes provided by ASDAN but create your own lessons for the modules centred around what you know the lads are interested in. Also, I give mine a choice so they feel some ownership of the course and they really like this. Some ideas that I've done so far this year.... they organised a year 7 interform football tournament, they publicised, got permission, organised venue etc, refreshments and ran the actual event, they did an amazing job. They have learnt to play backgammon and now taught the sixth form! We are doing some work on the BNP at the moment as it's topical and they've all got strong views on it.... made it engaging by doing a lesson getting them to vote after giving them BNP headlines but leaving the racist blurb off, they all voted for the BNP over other parties..... once they got over the shock of what they'd done, they became interested! I'm not saying I'm an expert, as I'm not, I'm too new to it for one thing but I think the key thing is making it relevant. Why not spend a whole session getting them to say what they want to do and see if any of their suggestions fit the modules?

5. Dont even bother with Bronze and Silver go straight for CoPE, probibly level 2. You have much more scope. You can virtually develop the challenges yourself or even let the kids help you. I let my students pick which modules they would like to do, that helps give them ownership. I also do lots of work in the community with them and have loads of voluntary organisations come into school to work with them, you'd be surprised what you can weave into ASDAN. working from the books or prescribed resources will not stimulate your students.