1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ASDAN qualifications for SEN students

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by amorte, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I wasnt sure whether to post this here or on the PSHE boards.
    I work in a mainstream school that is already running the ASDAN cope programme but for next year i am going to be supporting two students (current year 9) that are working at National Curriculum level 1 or 2 and i was wondering if any other schools are supporting this level of students through any ASDAN programes.
    Any ideas would be great because at the moment i am at a bit of a loss.

Thanks
    amorte

2. Hi,
    I wasnt sure whether to post this here or on the PSHE boards.
    I work in a mainstream school that is already running the ASDAN cope programme but for next year i am going to be supporting two students (current year 9) that are working at National Curriculum level 1 or 2 and i was wondering if any other schools are supporting this level of students through any ASDAN programes.
    Any ideas would be great because at the moment i am at a bit of a loss.

Thanks
    amorte

3. Riv

Riv New commenter

Hi, I'm not supporting such high ability pupils at the moment (currently doing ASDAN with 6 pupils working between P3 and P5) but I have worked towards ASDAN qualifications with pupils working at NC level 1 and 2 in the past if that's any help.

4. Thanks for the reply
    What is the name of the programme that you were running for the Nc level 1 and 2 students?
    How did you find running it, as we will be running it alongside our Cope Programme with the students in the same class as those doding B grade work.
    Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
    Thanks

5. Riv

Riv New commenter

I do Asdan Certificate in Life Skills at Entry Level 1 2 and 3 (roughly NC levels 1 2 and 3, like your pupils) alongside Entry 1 units in personal progress (Lower p levels, most pupils just able to access simple cause and effect, react to their environment and vocalise ) in the same class at the same time. We do usually have one teacher and one teaching assistant to a class of 8 or 9 pupils though, so that helps. We just carefully select the unit content so that all pupils can access the units at their own level and we just adapt our teaching depending on pupil (simple differentiation across the 10 levels as we do for most lessons). I'm not familiar with grade B but assuming it’s A level I suspect the same level of differentiation should possible, they’ll just need different evidence depending on the course requirements.

6. You may wish to consider the ASDAN Bronze award as a curriclum suitable for those learners. The best advice I can give is to call ASDAN and speak to a programme advisor who will be happy to offer your support in making a decision about the right curriculum choice.