1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ASDAN (New Horizon)

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by DJL, Feb 20, 2009.

1. DJL

DJL

Hi,
    I've been meaning to reply to this for ages. I'm using New Horizons for the first time this year - and have to cover the whole lot as I've got Y9s, which is going to prove a bit of a rush. What sort of things are you looking for? I'm not teaching it as a scheme as such. I'm choosing bits that fit with what we're doing and designing a lesson or so around that. Eg, for the personal section they were doing data in maths anyway, so we made tally charts and bar graphs using the computer showing heights, eye colour etc and put that in as the work. In their handwriting that week they had to practise filling in a form showing name, address, etc, so that went in the folder too. The bit I'm finding hard is keeping up with the record keeping in the books. In fact, I'm going to spend the whole day today in half term doing it! Let me know if this helps, and if you'd like more ideas/ detail. I agree, there's little support to be found around!

2. Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

My students are far less able ASD teenage boys. I'd be interested in ANYTHING you plan - are you able to email me anything PLEASE?

3. DJL

DJL

What's your email address? I'll send you some bits and pieces - won't be very detailed though. Are you teaching NH as your PSHE scheme? Is it a separate 'lesson' or cross-curricular? Anyway, I'll send you what I have.

4. Hi, don't know if you'll get this because you initially posted this 2 years ago... but i'm in this positon this year... teaching ks3 students with ASD working at P levels... any advice for new horizons and making it accessible in a fun way?
    thanks

5. Hi, I am in the same position as you were in 2011! Did you get anywhere with SOW or resources?

6. I know everyone was posting about this a long time ago...I have started to upload some bits about New Horizons - not particularly exciting yet but I im sure what I have to upload will get better!