1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asda Trials Refills

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jan 16, 2020.

1. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Asda is closing its fresh meat and fish counters.
    I suspect others will follow.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Packaging came about because of the trend for stores to become self service. If you want to get rid of packaging put up a counter and staff it!

border_walker likes this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I was in Asda today (walking thru) and didnt see any of that.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Let me counter that by asking whether you've been to a supermarket that closes these counters other than at weekends.

Where I live, They don't have poncy stuff like sushi counters, in fact I haven't seen a sushi restaurant round these parts, but we ain't a million miles from London. Even if you went by train to London, it would take less than an hour. You'd think that if sushi was anything more than a fad, people who commute to London would be demanding it, wouldn't you?

Yet they don't seem to be. Occasionally I see pre-packaged sushi on the gotta sell today shelf, but it's mostly noticeable from the fact that nobody wants to snap it up.

We have our fair share of Indian and Chinese restaurants, but they only offer what people will buy.

I bet you can buy a Balti in any restaurant in Birminham or Bradford, but you'd have your work cut out to even find a ready made Balti sauce in our local shops. The thing that fascinates me most though, is how popular pork belly appears to be. I can guarantee you could find a foot long piece of it every day of the week in some of our local supermarkets, although not all.

It isn't something the local restaurants often put on their menus though. It's the sort of thing that happens when you get restauant chains where the menu is devised by a chef totally out of touch with local demand and it will be exactly the same with supermarkets who imagine that just because sushi goes down well In London, it will sell anywhere else.

Well why would it?

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Neither is Tokyo but they have them.

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

This sort of thing (and deliberate sabotage) was one of the reasons plastic wrapping started to be used. Mind you, whenever you go to a buffet of any sort, think how many people sneeze or worse on the food. Do yo think most people are 'clean'? When you see people coming out of the toilets (not that we try to watch, but whenever you are walking past to the bar in a pub or whatever), they are very often doing up their trousers-which surely means their hands cannot be clean-and that they've left germs all over the door handle so that even if the next chap has washed his hands...

Jamvic likes this.
  7. LondonCanary

Forgert it. You often "bet" me things you assert to be true but when I accept (£10 to charity) , you back out.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

What's that got to do with the price of raw fish?

If people don't fancy it, thet's the end of it. No amount of hype is going to turn their opinions around.

It strike me that sushi is always going to be a hard sell. It ain't the sort of food that a celebrity chef would be able to earn a name by by having a wow factor to add by telling you the secret of the dish is in the the Maillard reaction that comes from the way you cook food, and the very reason people prefer food to be cooked.

I can imagine the delight on the faces of many of the British folk who tried my recipe for steak and kidney pudding, even those who hate the taste of kidney. They'd swear blind it never contained a single piece of kidney althoughit wouldn't be called steak and kidney pudding without the kidney.

Let's face it, if you had a choice of an invitation to a meal where someone knew how to cook or another knew how to slice raw fish, so it ended up tasting like raw fish, who in their right mind would pay through the nose for the latter?

It sems to me that if people stood back a bit and asked themselves to justify the cost of a meal in terms of the hours of sweat they'd had in earning the money to pay for it, fad foods like sushi would die the death.

It isn't a coincidence that British people only became aware of sushi when those in the finance industy had too much money to spend and were looking for anything they could spend it on to make themseves seem posh.

The truth though, is that sushi came about as a consequence of poor people being unable to aford the cost of fuel to cook with.

How ironic is that?

9. LondonCanary

Indeed, but nevertheless there are fresh sushi counters in some supermarkets.