1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asda Trials Refills

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jan 16, 2020 at 5:47 PM.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51132164

"Asda is launching a "sustainability store" where shoppers can fill their own containers with food.

Customers at a Leeds branch will be able to use refill stations for own brand rice and pasta, as well as Kellogg's cereals and PG Tips.

Asda is the latest major grocer to launch an initiative to cut down on plastic packaging"

The trial will be similar to one tested by Waitrose, which apparently proved popular enough with their customers that they extended the trial to some other stores.

How will this appeal to you? Are you organised enough to cart a truckload of Tupperware to the supermarket? Are you someone who uses the self-scan tills to reduce the time you spend in the store and would find the palava of having to weigh your container before filling it, then weighing it again before you scan it? Would it work in Asda, where it's sometimes difficult to move for screaming brats doing star jumps when they're not running around at breakneck speed or hurtling out of aisles on heelies, as well as it works in Waitrose, whose clientele seem to mostly be pensioners with sod else to do all day?

Don't get me wrong, I welcome any incentive to improve the environment and reduce the amount of packaging back to the level there was when I was younger, but back then, the main reason we didn't have so much plastic waste was that shops employed staff to weigh out the goods according to the customer's requirements and charge accordingly.

The greengrocer emptied everything into customer's bag and the customer was fine sorting the onions out from the carrots and spuds when they got home, so there was minimal amounts of packaging. The only things the greengrocer wrapped would be things like raspberries, which wouldn't sustain being dumped among the spuds etc. and for these, he provided a brown paper bag, which usually ended up being burnt on the fire.

It seems to me, that all the recent innovations that have been taking place in supermarkets, rely on the customer doing the work that employees used to. Is this the best way to save the planet? Bearing in mind the customer is required to invest in containers, whilst supermarkets cut their packaging cost, do all the weighing and labeling themselves, and enable supermarkets to save more money by employing fewer shelf-stackers, might we expect a substantial reduction in the shopping bills for those who use this latest incentive?

After all, money is always an incentive to change our habits. The government claims credit for reducing the number of smokers by pricing tobacco products out of reach and in Scotland, introducing a minimum price for alcohol is claimed to have reduced the amount of alcohol consumption. Why shouldn't there be a financial incentive for the consumer to do all the necesary work it requires to reduce the amount of plastic waste, if the planet benefits from it?

Or are there other alternatives you can come up with?

chelsea2 and Jamvic like this.
  2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

We have a greengrocers that we use where everything is loose in bowls ,all one pound. You take bowls to till, then like in the old days, it just gets tipped into your bag. Simple.

border_walker and Jamvic like this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Old idea. We used to have a store on our High St called Super scooper. Everything was in big tubs and you scooped up the amount you wanted and got it weighed. They carried dozens of lines. Flour, cake mixes, dried fruits, pork scratchings, peanuts, dried herbs and loads of other stuff. Prices were competitive. It closed quite a while back but Mrs B got exited recently when the shop was being refurbed (yet again) and the original sign had been exposed, she hoped it was re-opening.

4. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

I agree local greengrocers and markets are far better options if you want to avoid plastic on your fruit and veg BUT I was v impressed to see, when back in UK for Christmas, re-usable bags in Sainsbury's at the fruit and veg counters.30p a shot if I remember rightly but a great idea. I bought a few while I was there -deliberately buying again instead of re-using so that I could bring them back here with me. The cashiers in my local supermarket are very impressed

Jamvic likes this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I read about this earlier and also thought it was an interesting concept. I’ll keep an open mind and observe how it all works if it ever comes to a store near me.

I have to say I’m initially a bit dubious though as I’ve never liked buying certain things that are completely unpackaged for hygiene reasons. I could never shop at those scoop it yourself type stores for this reason. I don’t mind unpackaged fruit & veg because I can wash/peel them but I never bought from the Woolworths or cinema sweetie pick n mix trays for example.

I see pictures like this one and all I’m thinking is... who filled that dispenser?... did they wash their hands?... had they been to the loo?... how was the dispenser cleaned?.... how often is the dispenser cleaned?...How many people have handled the dispensing nozzle and how clean were their hands?...etc etc. :confused:

D337F65C-F59C-4469-9926-E6B2768B31B3.jpeg

However, if it massively saves on plastic packaging and also reduces cost then I may consider powering through my reservations and giving it a go.

border_walker likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I don't see a problem with it...

Jamvic likes this.
  7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

If you self scan you don't need any bags for fruit and veg.

8. Duke of York

It was a model that Fine Fare were running in the 70s. Some of you might remember Gordon Jackson of Upstairs Downstairs fame doing their adverts with the implication that the reason thrupenny bits had twelves sides was to enable them to be released from a Scotsman's hand with a spanner.

Sadly, the Fine Fare brand never survived against the big boys, probably for the same reasons your Super Scooper shop didn't.

9. LondonCanary

That's very good of you to consider other customers.

Jamvic likes this.
  10. LondonCanary

Fine Fare was one of the big boys, no 3 ahead of Asda Morrison's and others.

11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D:D

0F64A1DB-6E0C-4E0E-88D3-B570E5E2EF99.gif

LondonCanary likes this.
  12. LondonCanary

(I only recently realised he connection between your avatar and username :confused:)

Jamvic likes this.
  13. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I’ve been wary since observing a youngster (9 or 10?) in Aldi picking up each roll and cake on the bakery display to see which ones he he would finally select.

border_walker and Jamvic like this.
  14. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Yes it’s all based around a (tedious but tenacious) family nickname/joke taken from my first name. Not many are observant enough to see the link, even more probably couldn't give a flying cupcake :D

15. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Gross :eek:. Where were the parents?

16. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Nowhere to be seen.
    Well, no doubt they would have appeared quickly enough had i remonstrated with the young man.

chelsea2 and Jamvic like this.
  17. LondonCanary

Hi Jamelia.

Jamvic likes this.
  18. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

19. Duke of York

Equally, supermarkets could take responsibily and ownership of the hygeine issue by employing properly trained staff to handle loose goods.

My point in this, is that supermarkets are not prepared to take responsibily for the unneccessary damage they've been causing with the ridiculous volume of packaging we've been forced to accept as being normal.

There are only two reasons it exists with things like meat and vegetables. One is to cut the number of staff required and the other being that packaged products make it simpler to scan and keep track of a product's profitability.

There are other reasons why absurd amounts of packaging exist on other goods, but these are related to the perception that a particular product has added value over another, or to prevent counterfeit products entering the market.

To put this in simple terms, it isn't worth a counterfeiter's time trying to flog low value goods. The money gets made from flogging high value goods more cheaply, so to counter that, the manufacurer of a renown brand makes the packaging far too expensive to replicate.

Next time you buy expensive toothpaste, take a close look at the box it came in and study how many features it has. If it's embossed, it adds to the cost. So does it add to the cost for every colour used in printing on the cardboard. If it has a flash of gold on the embossing to impress, that's another expense.

In simple terms, a basic carton costs £X to produce, but every embellishment made to that carton adds another £X. The consumer bears the cost of that and in some instances, the carton costs as much to produce as the goods it contains. Yet what's the first thing you do when you need to use the product? You take it out of the carton and throw the carton away.

It's absolute madness.

20. LondonCanary

Have you never been to a supermarket which has a delicatessen counter, a fish counter, a butchers, a sushi counter etc.?

lanokia likes this.