1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ASDA coin/change machine thingies

Discussion in 'Personal' started by GeordieJody, Oct 21, 2007.

1. I have a rather large collection of loose change and want to change it in to nice crisp banknotes.

Has anyone used the coin machines in ASDA(it is close). Is their a limit to the amount of change you can put in them in one day?

2. I have a rather large collection of loose change and want to change it in to nice crisp banknotes.

Has anyone used the coin machines in ASDA(it is close). Is their a limit to the amount of change you can put in them in one day?

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

nope just keep pouring it in!

remember they do take a small slice of your money for the service.

4. I don't think there is a limit to them. They do take 7p out of every £1. There again I have never done more than £50. You normally get a receipt which you have to take to the customer service desk who will change it for you.

5. Cheers for that Elfie.
    I don't mind them getting a little bit of commission.

6. Cheers Nutty.

7. 7%

That's insane just for counting money! That's £3.50 from £50.

Can't see how anyone who is frugal enough to save the pennies would want to lose 7% of what they saved for doing something that is straightforward to do yourself. It's free to change in most banks.

Like Peter Kay says, "No, dear. We're grateful for the change. You came at just the right time!"

8. I'm not exactly frugal LeatherPatches. It just sort of builds up, I empty my pockets at the end of the day and I have loads of coins.

I usually lug it all back to Newcastle and my sister counts it, banks it and uses it to buy presents for our nieces and nephews. But I'm not going back home until March and Its cluttering up my room.

(Don't worry I will send the little b*ggers some gift vouchers instead)

9. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i believe the 7% goes to charity, or some of it. i like using them and watching it total how many of each coin i've put in. and when it tells me to slow down.

hee. sad.

10. If the machines are the same as the ones in Sainsbury's supermarkets (Coinstar I think) then the fee you pay is for the upkeep of the machines etc. You can then choose to take your money as a voucher to cash in or donate it to charity.

We save up and take our coppers once a year or so. It buys a little treat. Our bank only takes something like £1 of coppers at a time so it is easier to just take a box down and pour it in.

When you think of 7% though it is quite a lot.

11. If you have a bank account with HSBC, they have change machines in their branches that don't charge.

12. Coinstar machines actually charge 7.9% - although thats not as bad as in the US (8.9%) or Canada (9.8%)
    The machine is not owned by the store and they are the same whether its Adsa or Sainsburys, even Morrisons has them now.

I've used them a few times, although I find they are too slow for me... always telling me to slow down!

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coinstar

13. The 7.9% does not go to charity - it goes to Coinstar - it is a fabulous business model and I wish I had thought of it first

14. Didn't do too badly £50 in coins is now £50 in notes.

15. How odd that you should mention this...I was thinking about this very thing yesterday and was even going to start a thread! All questions answered! Thanks :)

*stuffs pockets with coins and trundles off*

16. I use the self-service checkouts in Tesco. The pay machines take small change and you don't get a checkout assistant tutting you.

17. Don't you get the full value if you spend it in store - I think you get either cash minus commission or vouchers to the full amount.

Personally I'd rather take the time to count it out and take it to the bank. But then I'm stingy!!

18. you can donate the whole lot to charity if you want, we did a penny day and donated it all.you can pick the charity

19. What you get out is the same whether you are donating it to charity, spending it in store or exchanging the voucher for cash. The machine still takes a cut!