1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asda bans food bank collection points

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/17/asda-removes-food-bank-donation-points-from-uk-stores

It seems that Asda no longer like the idea of unmanned food collection points in its supermarkets. Food banks are saying that the collection points in Asda account for up to 25% of the food they are given, so the impact this decision will have on them will be significant.

Asda hasn't said why they have made this decision, but merely said "The decision to change its arrangements for charities is based on a review of its community programme."

I find this somewhat disappointing. It can hardly be a hardship for Asda to allow a trolley to stand in a corner of the store and be filled by the generosity of Asda's customers with goods they bought from Asda, can it?

Could there be a reason other than mean-spiritedness behind this move?

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

We stopped using the local Asda when they removed benches from the entrance that elderly / disbled used whilst waiting for buses / taxis. Despite a petition they refused to reinstate them.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I reckon ASDA customers shun the trolleys and ASDA management fill 'em up with near end of sale stuff anyway.

4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

This is disappointing. I hope they can justify it in some way, otherwise I have Iceland, Aldi and Sainsbury's to choose from.

5. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

I reckon there will have been some kind of exploitation leading to the decision, such as some way some food has been getting into the hands of people who then sell it on. I wonder just how many of those plastic bags that come through your letter box that you will with unwanted stuff actually goes to charities. I've seen far fewer charity bags these days, come to think of it.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, I think I understand. All the other charities seeking donations have to have a human bean soliciting the handout. It's discriminatory against all those other charities if the Trussell Trust can just leave a trolley and have people chuck stuff in it.

I speak as someone who was trained by the Trussell Trust and has given out food to youngsters between 16 - 25 (Nightstop).

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Try searching stories about the parent company Walmart in the USA. Asda is my nearest supermarket, but I don't shop in the godawful hellhole, I would rather drive five miles to somewhere a bit preferable.

8. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Jeez Iceland. Cut off your nose to spite your face.

9. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Their uniforms give me a headache.

10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Have you worked there then?

11. Vince_Ulam

No, it's bad enough having to see them without having to consider wearing them. Don't you find them the wrong shade of neon queasy?

kibosh likes this.
  12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

They soon fade after a few washes

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I've never been to Asda.

14. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

15. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

What items do you posters usually put in food bank trolleys?

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Usually pasta and pasta sauce. It's what I ate a lot of when I was short of money although I made my own sauce with tinned tomatoes. I think convenience foods are a safe bet because you don't know what cooking skills, access to pots and pans etc. the recipients have or whether they can afford the fuel to cook properly. Also packet soups as they are quick and warming and, at Christmas, mince pies.

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Maybe people were helping themselves from the trolleys?

Btw, DoY, I see you now have a siggy . . . . . ;)
    [​IMG]

18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Biscuits, UHT, cereal, beans, sponge puddings, soup and whatever is on 2 for 1 that I want 1 of.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We boycott asda since they bought our Tory councillors who then gave them £10,500,000 worth of our local park to build a superstore.

20. Vince_Ulam

I see what you did, @kibosh. I'm billing you for the aspirin.