1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ASD & possible PDA

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by freya_j, Sep 12, 2018.

1. freya_j

freya_j New commenter

Morning all,

I have a learner on my caseload in S2 (KS3) who is not coping with mainstream classes and has been excluded for some time because of behavioural issues. He is average ability with no learning delay.

I am trying to do a revised curriculum for him focusing on his areas of interests while ensuring all national guidelines are met. One of the activities I want to put into place is a stack of cards with a host of short tasks he can do if he is refusing to engage with other work.

Has anyone done something like this before? Any ideas on what to include?

Thank you

2. balletomane

balletomane New commenter

I am trialling something similar at the moment. I have a small red lunchbox from Waldo Pancake (that has 'I am not a suspicious package' printed on it, which my students find very amusing) that I fill with different backup activity ideas and supplies for each class, depending on their needs. (I teach in a SEMH setting.) I work 1:1 with one boy who really struggles to accept instructions and to stay on task, so for him I tape different suggestions inside the lid of the box and he can open it when he comes in and choose one. I'm hoping that some element of choice might make it easier for him to engage, and the fact that the choices are restricted will prevent him from becoming overwhelmed and anxious at having to pick. I've only used it with this particular student once so far, and it seemed to work, although of course I will need to see how it is over a long period of time before I can recommend it. I do suggest you get a nice box rather than just having the cards - kids seem to like the mystery of the box, and in some classes they want to guess what's in it. It's a good way of getting them engaged as soon as I step into the room.

Regarding what to put on the cards, personally I would offer activities that involve different things: maybe one that involves ICT work, one reading, one making something, etc., or else the pupil might feel as if you're just presenting him with identical things in different guises.

Mermaid7 likes this.
  3. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/
    The ideas above sound really good as they are de-personalising demands.The PDA Society website has some good advice too. Teaching someone with PDA is exhausting. In my experience though, you need a whole repertoire of strategies, as what works one day, may not work the next.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

More than once or twice with my PDA chap, anything novel becomes a new demand.:(