1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ASD, Diabetes and Teaching???

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Chemistry2020, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Chemistry2020

Chemistry2020 New commenter

Hi,

I've recently been offered a place on a Secondary Chemistry teacher training course starting September 2020 and I'm really really excited!
    However, I have both Asperger Syndrome (with anxiety) and Type 1 Diabetes (diagnosed 6 months ago) and today I had an appointment with occupational health that's left me feeling a bit worried...

I've been declared fit for employment with adjustments but those adjustments include the provider doing a risk assessment. I'm a chemist so when I do a risk assessment it's because I'm dealing with hazardous materials or dangerous procedures. Therefore, I don't quite understand exactly what this risk assessment will look at, or mean for me. I'm not a hazard, and having Asperger and Diabetes doesn't make me one :( Therefore, Is anyone able to offer any thoughts on this?

Many thanks.

2. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Try not to worry about this, it's a formality. I assume your diabetes is now controlled and you already know how to manager your Aspergers. It's simply to ensure that if any adjustments needed to be taken have been accounted for.

What I would say, is be vigilant during your training. It's an exhausting year so be sure to eat well and take good care of yourself. If you become anxious with the workload, speak to your mentor before it becomes an issue. Plan out your year beforehand, looking at when the breaks are and assignments are due. An academic diary may help with this as it goes from September to September rather than the usual January start.

agathamorse and bonxie like this.
  3. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

The risk assessment will just be to make the sure that any adjustments that are necessary will actually be made. It's not about you being a hazard to anyone else, it's about making sure you are safe. Having had diabetes for 6 months, you've probably got it well under control by now so one adjustment might just be that schools need to make sure you actually get time to eat at lunchtimes and/or other times appropriate to you. If you're very lucky, you might find the risk assessment finds that you should be excused all break and lunch duties!

agathamorse likes this.
  4. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

I've had diabetes for the last 24 years.

I'm a full-time teacher.

They do (or should do) a risk assessment for anyone with a medical condition that might impact their day-to-day life. Athsma? Inhaler. Nut allergy? Epipen. Pregnancy? No lifting. My risk assessment was basically "Let Mr Varcolac eat when he needs to, and keep diabetes control accoutrements on his person."

The only time it's ever been an issue is when I had to go chasing around a theme park after some errant Year 10s who didn't want to get back on the bus after their "rewards" trip. A bottle of lucozade and a sit-down on the coach put me right.

agathamorse likes this.