1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ASD Child FS2

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by louloubabe, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Hi,

I have been told today that after Easter I will be working 1:1 with an autistic boy in reception. I have no experience with ASD, I usually work with small groups, working on phonics or global delay. However because I want to do a Primary PGCE, ideally FS/KS1 they have chosen me for the job!

He has had a very quick transfer so there isn't much to go on! All I have been told is that he is of low ability and has hardly any communication skills, he is very bodily aware, often touching himself inappropriately and shouts out rude words, and not much else! Also that he gets very attached, and when holding adults hand he has the urge to put them in inappropriate places!

His teacher hasn't told of any structures in place and anything that he likes, just the bad things!

Does anyone have any advice, so I am slightly prepared on my first day? Since I have no experience, how to help him understand that the things he is doing are inappropriate and not allowed?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Louise

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://www.senteacher.org/FileDetails/48/SocialStories.xhtml
    http://www.oneplaceforspecialneeds.com/main/library_social_stories.html

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I can't think of anything less appropriate for a child with ASD than a "quick transfer". Sorry, that's not helpful, but I find it hard to understand how this has been arranged when a much more gentle process would have provided many more chances for success. Does he have knowledge of something like PECS or other visual communication system? Has training been put in place for you? Is there an ASD advisory teacher coming into school during the first week?

4. Hi, I work with a little boy in reception who is on the ASD, also has very little in the way of verbal communication, and also has a fascination with inapproprate things. I too had no experience when I started working with him after Christmas for only one morning a week so can in no way be described as knowledgeable, but perhaps can share some of my learning experiences!
    Firstly, the local special school has outreach workers who have been very helpful, modelling identiplay, providing symbols for PECS book and schedule, and just generally helping me to understand the rewards and challenges this type of 1:1.
    As with any child it takes a while to get to know what makes them tick, and to 'read' them. This is obviously more so when the child doesn't have verbal communication and is on the ASD - it can be frustrating for them, and I found that I felt guilty that I couldn't understand when he was gesticulating and making noises when he clearly wanted to communicate. I have learnt some basic makaton (the NHS speech therapist is working with us) and I have also got to understand most of his gestures so the frustration on his part is reducing. It takes time and is difficult for both parties to start with!
    Having a schedule helps the child to understand what is planned for the day. We use a velcro strip with removable symbols. Around the classroom we have matching symbols with a spare velcro spot for him to attach the symbol removed from the schedule at the approprate time. When it is time to move from one activity to the next we show him a transition card - in his case it's a picture of the Koala Brothers (one of his favourite characters), tell him to check his schedule, lead him to it, and he has learnt to take the next symbol and match it in the appropriate place.
    We have a circle of carpet for him to sit on at carpet time - he knows that is his spot and happily gets it out and sits on it once he's matched his carpet time symbol.
    With regards to inappropriate behaviour in general, clear verbal and non verbal communication is a start. Re the inappropriate touching etc, don't get stressed about it as then might become a fun game. We tried ignoring it, but that didn't seem to work, and we've tried taking him to the toilet everytime he fiddles inappropriately. Still working on it really.
    We have a period of work together time where we sit opposite each other at a table and play matching games, or posting games - i.e. post the cat picture in the letter box, moving on to two word level understanding where he has say a cat and a dog to choose from and a letter box and a box, then you say put the cat in the box etc. This will obviously depend on his level of learning and understanding!
    I hope this helps in some way - as I say I'm by no means experienced in the area but hope my thoughts give you some ideas.
    Good luck!

5. Most important thing to remember is that you are not 1:1 with him, you are there to help support the class teacher have him in her class. We have had pupils come into special school who have had 1:1 'help' in main stream, some have been unable to pick up a pencil without help! It is an extremely skilled job to be a T/A and even more so to be a child's 1:1. Good luck I'm sure you will do a great job because you are interested.

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I've got a little ASD boy in my Reception class this year. He transferred from his previous setting after the Spring half-term. I was very apprehensive as I'd never taught a child with such severe special needs (no speech, pre-signing, developmental age of around 18 months in most areas of learning, little interest in/awareness of other children), and didn't know if I'd be able to meet his needs.
    The thing that is making it work for us (in so far as having a little lad like this in a mainstream class can ever work) is the fantastic support from the Early Years ASD team. They came in to deliver training about autism to all members of the Foundation team, and support workers come in 2 mornings a week: they work directly with the little boy, supported me at the beginning of term in planning for the boy, and support his INA with strategies to use when working with him.
    If your local ASD team aren't currently involved, then I'd hassle your class teacher to hassle the SENCO to make sure they do come and offer support.
    All ASD children are very individual, and what works for one child may not work for another. I've only had this pupil in my class for about 6 weeks, but if you have any specific questions - especially after Easter when you've had a chance to work with this boy, and get to know him a little - then I'd be happy to try and answer them.
    I'd also have a search in the SEN forum. He was originally due to start in my class back in September, so I posted asked for help back last summer, and got some really helpful advice and information.

7. Sorry have taken a while to reply.

Your suggestions are so helpful, thank you! You have made me a little calmer, I just want to be able to support him so that he gets the best from the school, moving schools is hard enough already.

He has a now and next board at his old school, so the report says, but by the sounds of it they are not willing to transfer any of his bits over to make it more easier for him. There is a game the nursery use just like the 'cat and postbox' you described, so I'm sure they won't mind if I borrow it, thanks for the suggestion.

I have never used PECs before but my mother is a teacher so have been reading up on them the past few days. I know I will be having a fellow TA with me a few afternoons a week for a few weeks to help me gain confidence, as she is experienced.

Thank you