1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ASD Assessment and what to tell young people

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by kash645, Jun 21, 2015.

1. kash645

kash645 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm after some advice for parents of a KS2 pupil in my class who are awaiting an ADOS assessment. School has referred as we feel he is somewhere on the ASD spectrum and he is really struggling socially and emotionally.

Parents are anxious about what to tell their son when he goes for assessment. He's a bright boy and they don't want to mention ASD yet if at all. What do others think? I really don't know what advice to offer them and have suggested perhaps they could discuss this further with the ADOS team?

School is currently providing him with some extra support and we say that this is to help him. We haven't used the ASD label either. I know that some parents and young people are happy to use the terminology.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

2. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

When I am doing assessments with students I say something like I'd like to do a few tests and puzzles with you so that we can see what you're good at and and what things you might need some extra help with. You could say something similar to your pupil and I don't think it is necessary to mention ASD until he has a diagnosis.