1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

As we come to the end of the term...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by FarSideofParadise, Mar 31, 2016.

1. FarSideofParadise

FarSideofParadise Occasional commenter

My school breaks up for Easter today. It is a long sought after and much needed break, I really think this term has been one of the hardest slogs I've dragged myself through so far.

As we're surrounded on all sides by a constant barrage of negativity and political needling I thought I'd start a thread to share some of the positives we've experienced this year so far.

Mine include:
    • One of my year 11 girls getting a C in literature (5 lop!) after being so terribly frightened that she would fail as she dragged herself in for the exam whilst being very poorly.
    • My year 9's engaging with poetry in a way I have never experienced and consistently being genuinely excited to discuss ideas and interpretations.
    • Watching students in my classes share their ideas and help each other to improve their work and articulate themselves. Some times I just stood back and marvelled at them!
    Feel free to add yours below! I hope your Easter breaks are all full of family, relaxation and gin.

phlogiston likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You break up for Easter today?
    But Easter is over?

3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Nice to read a positive post Farsideofparadise. I break up tomorrow!

4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

The Year 10 pupil I work with who doesn't attend school and who suffers extreme anxiety..... well after dissolving when first asked to complete a creative writing task school had asked for - she wrote 2 sides yesterday on a quite (I thought) drab topic! She also completed a History GCSE Mock exam this week :)

Am off for a week then 2 sessions to do with a family who sort of got the Easter holidays in a right mess this year.

5. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

1) Back in October, one of my sixth form tutor group student was diagnosed with a serious medical condition. After extensive treatment, they will be coming back after the Easter break which is exciting. We will be throwing them a little welcome back do!
    2) Getting through Great Expectations with my year 10s as they struggled to read it, but were surprisingly engaging when analyzing it which was a great thing to see as I've always loved teaching GE.
    3) One of the teachers within my dept. was put on capability. She has tremendously improved and we are all very proud of her, regardless of her leaving at the end of this academic year.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

A very vulnerable year 11 pupil with many learning difficulties is close to completing controlled assessments.

7. oscillator

oscillator Occasional commenter

After the most difficult half term of my (albeit short) career, I was thanked by parents at a parents' evening for the enthusiasm I have instilled in (a few of) their children. Bearing in mind the school suffered a traumatic bereavement in this half term and many pupils have been intermittent in lessons since! Basically, as long as the kids see I am doing my best to help, they're stepping up their efforts!

I've still decided I need an exit plan... though it might take a couple years!

8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

9. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

I work in adult training and development. It lacks the sheer joy and fun of working with little ones, but does have the benefit that everyone wants to be there and mostly pays attention/ does as asked.

Top moments include:

Increased uptake of an under-utilised piece of software to everyone's benefit due to developing their skills with it last year.

Introducing workshop sessions that have helped them hit local aims. Including great feedback and some real success stories. The positive way everyone worked in the last one left me stunned!