1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

As we await John Crace's assessment of this week's PMQs...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Sep 29, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

I wonder if I'm alone in looking forward to the pointless charade that PMQs has become. When I say "has become", I have to admit I've only been following with interest since the lockdown began, when the PM and opposition leader lack the support of hoardes of choreographed backbenchers jeering at their respective opponents' champion. It may well have been a pointless charade since its inception, but without the baying crowds, we get to experience it more as a gladiatorial contest, in some ways not dissimilar to the battle between bowler and batsman in the test matches that took place this year.

There have been occasions when I wished Starmer had asked different questions for Johnson to answer, but not being privvy to parliamentary gossip, I tend to be guided by what I read in the news, which isn't neccessarily going to flag up when the right time to deliver the googlie or unplayable bouncer will be, so aside from the fact that any questions I would like the PM to be asked would detract from the more important battle plan of restoring the credibility of the Labour party with a view to re-election, I don't get to hear what gets spoken about in the corridors of power that is the most embarassing for the government.

Nevertheless, I thought it might be fun for us to suggest questions that could be put to the Prime Minister. Supporters of all parties can join in of course, because that's what happens at PMQs.

I'll start off with a question from a Tory party sycophant: "Does my Right Honourable friend agree with me that a fairy on a Christmas tree is superior to a star and will add the much-needed magic to the festive occasion that the public need after what has been a difficult year?

colpee, slingshotsally and gainly like this.
  2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

"Lord North was until very recently generally regarded as the worst prime minister the UK has ever had. His indolence was a barrier to efficient crisis management, resulting in the loss of the American colonies. Does the right honourable buffoon agree that he has raised indolence to levels Lord North could not even have imagined?"

3. modelmaker

Can the Prime Minister explain why the only thing that can be taken seriously these days in Tory newspapers is fish and chips; and why even that needs to be taken with a pinch of salt?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Can the Prime Minister explain why he looks like he spent the night under a railway viaduct? Was he trying to Get Down Wiv Da Electorate?

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

"Even when he’s trying to sound like he knows what he’s doing, he oozes pathos. On days like this, he looks like a walking resignation letter."

John Crace summing up Williamson's speech in the Commons yesterday. Spot on as usual!

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You are not alone

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Can the honourable members in here explain how they Know all that a PM has and is contending with running a country?
    Much easier to pull down than support. Well, except for a concrete air-raid shelter that was hard graft to remove on one job!

8. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Perhaps he did.

Jamvic likes this.
  9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

He had vast public support, across the political spectrum. He took it for granted, exploited it, squandered it and then in defence of his mate Cummings sh-at on it.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

and so the diatribe goes one.....

11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Perhaps it is because all the previous incumbents since 1900 have done it better, even Mrs May. So why should the burden of running the country for the Johnson (who you obviously support despite the obvious defects) suddenly be so difficult for him alone?

monicabilongame and ilovesooty like this.
  12. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

diatribe - a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something

Yes, that’s how strongly I feel about how our PM has chosen to handle things since March. I feel let down by the lies, ineptitude, profiteering, lack of forward planning, mixed messages and empathy bypasses.

13. modelmaker

Don't worry, @oldsomeman. It will all cease when our unicorns get delivered next year. I'm not sure at the moment where we'll be keeping ours. I might be able to offer you some work if you're any good at knocking up stables, and I expect you could could do well for yourself out of making flat-packed unicorn stables, so long as they didn't have to be transported through Kent or require any of that foreign wood to be made out of.

You might also be able to get yourself some extra work by mucking the stables out, now that you won't be having competition from migrant workers.

14. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I watch or record it every week. I thoroughly agree with Starmer that the PM's constant defensiveness when being asked to explain government decisions is wearing very thin. I also agree with John Crace that Starmer doesn't have to get into second gear to run rings round Johnson every week. How anyone can continue to justify or support his ineptitude is a mystery to me.

15. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

make sure the doors have delayed action bolts so they only close after the unicorns have run away, taking the EU trade deal with them.

monicabilongame likes this.
  16. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I totally agree, he has a posh voice but not the intelligence to do the job. He gives the impression that it's all a big gung-ho game.

17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Not compared with Rees-Mogg or the Queen. I would say Johnson's accent is fairly standard RP.

18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Not as posh as two other people, then.

Jamvic likes this.
  19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Not as posh as the two people I mentioned. Johnson speaks in a similar way to the roughly 1,200,000 people who use RP, having been taught to clearly enunciate their speech.

20. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Lead commenter

yes i agree between mumbles, bluster and occasional Latin he is quite articulate :rolleyes:

Jamvic likes this.