1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS Textiles Exam AQA 18th May 2011

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by purlone, May 18, 2011.

1. Hey Guys,

Just wondering how everyone thinks the paper was for the AS Textiles AQA exam today? Personally I think it was ok!

Just the A2 exam to go now.

Also, why is the A2 a totaly different styled exam (answer book, long questions etc)? I am totally panicking!

Purlone

2. Hey Guys,

Just wondering how everyone thinks the paper was for the AS Textiles AQA exam today? Personally I think it was ok!

Just the A2 exam to go now.

Also, why is the A2 a totaly different styled exam (answer book, long questions etc)? I am totally panicking!

Purlone

3. Yes I thought it was a good one. No surprises, some questions we've seen before (always good!). Although I still had one student who didn't recognise the wool fibre in the first question! Also could they really have been asked to label 'scales' or is there some technical term I didn't know? But on the whole a good one; hope this doesn't mean that the grade boundaries are going to leap up. Like you say, fingers crossed for A2.

4. Anyone heard anything about the A2 exam question on designers? I've heard lots of rumours but not been to the meetings so don't have any first hand info. Are they able to choose own to discuss or are they going to be given certain ones?

5. Lol wondered how long it would be before we discussed this.....
    I too thought it was much better than some we have had especially section C (apart from the Boucle bit!!)
    Section B on denim was good as well but the other question a little hard - writing about seatbelts etc hmmm
    My students thought section A was quite hard though I didn't think it was too hard, and they have at least been taught all of this! I think my resitting A2 students will have found it easier due to the A2 syllabus. the scales answer could be 'cuticle' as that is apparently the correct name for that part... i think overlapping scales would suffice as that is what AQA wrote in their notes at the training meeting.
    I think the A2 exam question on designers will be in the same sort of style as last year, eg given a selection to choose from or a choice of eras to write about. (eg 20's, wartime, 60's or 80's) because there are so many social and economic issues to discuss. Alternatively it could be on Design Movements don't forget.
    As yes Purlone - I have to say i wouldn't want to sit the A2 exam - it appears quite open but then looking at the mark scheme they want quite specific answers....
    I am interested in the suggestion in the examiner's report from last year that ' they are not being examined on section A of the spec'. If you go through the paper there are several questions, or parts of questions directly from section A. Doesn't make sense to me.