1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS Taster Lesson

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by morepaperplease, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Yes, we have to do this too, in an hour. What I do is set up the cameras and macs in advance - split the students into groups of 4, and give them all different titles such as 'The Romance', 'The Big Day', 'The Bully' and their challenge is to make a short 2 minute film in an hour. They have 5 minutes to plan and think about what they are going to do, 10 minutes to film, 10 minutes to edit and then they each watch each other's work and try and guess what the title was they were initially given. I make sure they have some props if they want to use them and there is music already on the macs which they can add if they want to - it doesn't really matter if they don't get it completely finished - they seem to really enjoy the process and it contrasts with a lot of other subject taster sessions where they tend to sit and listen. When we do ours there are always some existing year 12s/ 13s around so I usually rope them into help - assign a sixth former to each group to help with editing of they haven't done it before and make sure they stick to the timings, as well as giving the year 11s an opporunity to ask them about the course rather than getting it all from me. Seems to work

2. backtoback

backtoback New commenter

I love that!! Plus, it will give thema good insight to the Coursework side of the course, as all my students jumped in at the deep end wanting to make trailers this year and work with their friends - then came unstuck when they knew how much work was involved and how slack some of their friends could be!

Thankyou :)