1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS Spanish and independent work

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by moonlight35, Jul 2, 2011.

1. I am new at teaching AS Spanish and so excited about teaching it from September.The Head of Department has told me that the students must do 1hour and a half of independent work per week, this work must be done in an exercise book and I will be checking it weekly nor marking it jut recording that is done. HoD was sligthly vague about the type of tasks that they should do. Does everybody in year 12 do this and can anybody give me some examples of how to tackle this requirement (1h and a half on independent work). We do AQA board.

Thanks a lot

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Is that on top of normal homework? Our lot gets 4 hours a week of homework. I give them some independent work on top of that, to be handed in once a month, but I let them choose from a list of possible things, e.g. reading a magazine article and writing a summary, watching a DVD or listening to a song and writing an evaluation, reading something online, etc. For some students the amount of work is a bit thin on the ground, for others it's really quite good, especially if they find articles in magazines related to what we study in the course (our library subscribes to two magazines, it doesn't even come out of my budget, woohoo!). I'd give them a set thing to do to start off, to establish the standard you want, and then give them a list of potentials.

3. They have 4 hours and a half per week of hw and that includes independent work: 30 minutes learning vocab, 1hour and a half of grammar (doing exercises and learning), 1 hour of reading or writing and 1 hour and a half of independent work.
    Great suggestion Noemie.
    What two magazines are you subscribed to?

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I teach French so it won't be of any use to you, but Phosphore and Paris Match ([​IMG] yeah, trashy, I know, I know!). I'm actually looking into getting Mary Glasgow magazines instead as they are more focused on teaching and our students haven't got into the habit of reading gossip magazines as much as I'd hoped.