1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS results

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by violet64, Sep 7, 2011.

1. violet64

violet64 New commenter

Has anyone else been completely shocked by their students' AS french marks? My colleague and I are experienced AS level teachers. We are normally spot on with our predicted grades. This time out of a group of 8 students 6 got 'U' grades and 2 'E' grades. The 'E's were predicted 'B' grades and one of the 'U's a 'B' grade. The cost of re-marking is an issue for our school, but we cannot understand how such hardworking students (all of whom got A grades at GCSE) have gone so badly wrong. They were happy with the topics included in the paper and did not feel that the exam was as difficult as some of the past papers they have done.I would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has had a similar experience this year.
    Thanks

2. There are various threads on here about this - makes for interesting reading. For my part I think it is a lottery whether your exams are marked by someone who knows what they are talking about or someone completely incompetent.

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

What board do you use? We're with AQA and our results weren't that great but to be honest, our students weren't as strong - some of the grades should have been one mark higher, they seemed to be marked down on the essay, but they speaking grade was a little generous in my opinion, so it probably balances itself out. A2 was much more of an issue in terms of severe grading this year.

4. violet64

violet64 New commenter

We use the Welsh Board as we have done for many years. We just cannot understand what has happened.

5. Hi
    I am as well has experienced the same situation but with Spanish. The group was amazing and 6 of them got U, 1 D, 1E and 2C. They were very able students and I can not understand what has happened and what has gone wrong. These students were predicted A and A* and I have the same problem, the cost of re-marking is as well very high. I was with AQA. Is there anything we can do?
    Thanks

6. violet64

violet64 New commenter

I feel for you. I wonder if their is any official body which handles such problems. The exam boards must be looking forward to all of the extra revenue from school with similar results.

7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

[​IMG]

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I should add that we had a rogue external oral examiner last year at A2. Having sent a sample back to WJEC for a re-mark, they subsequently remarked the whole cohort (15 candidates) all of whom saw their speaking test results rise by at least one grade, and in some cases two grades. We are in the process of submitting some of our A2 FN4 papers for a remark this year where candidates scored as low as 4/45 for the essay - this really is just not possible. One candidate who resat the FN4 paper this year (having done a Year 14) scored just 9/45 on his essay (even though he scored 29 last year). I did not teach him this year, but had read some of his essays which were absolutely spot on. We are just baffled.

9. Lots of people seem to have had problems with WJEC this year. I'm a student, and some of my friends at other schools got E's and U's when they deserved much higher. One of them has native speaker parents and was predicted a solid A! This year's paper was the mos straightforward of all the past papers I've seen, so I'd imagine the marking is the problem. Especially for the essay.

That said, I'm not complaining at all because I got 98% overall. I must've been lucky because the oral examiner was lovely too.