1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS results - how did you find yours?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bonnie23, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Had a bit of a chinwag with an old teacher I used to work with and because I'm fairly new to teaching as well as being quite a worrier I often worry too much and over think things.

What are your AS results like? Do you have AS results? If not what did they used to be like? Did you have many resit? How are you finding the linear courses?

We're about to do the horrific switch to a linear course. Not looking forward to it but at this rate it may not be my problem for much longer.

Thanks!
    B x

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Don't panic the grade boundaries still change to meet the overall accepted percentage of grades at each level across the board that hasn't changed has it. Of course the course content has changed and in my subjects has increased substantially but follow the spec to the letter and all will be fine.

Despite the association with grades and school and teacher performance we should not forget that it is the student that gets the grade and usually the grade they deserve, the more work they put in the better the grade and visa versa, there is actually only so much you can do without taking the exam for them.

As teachers we really ought to stop equating exam results with our achievements, yes it is used as a stick to beat us with however whether we choose to accept that mind set is up to us as individuals, we really ought not be beating ourselves with that very same stick.

If your exam results are not what you expected take a look at the school and national trends when writing your exam analysis, since you are the qualified teacher in your field your subject knowledge should not come into question and since you are a qualified teacher the same can be said for your ability to pass on your subject knowledge to your students... you have not just rocked up off the street trying to teach have you.

3. Bonnie23

Thank you. Unfortunately all of our students underperformed this year in the AS from what I can gather, extremely underperformed. The frustrating part that I can't understand is that there were some amazing students in that group, yes some lazy ******* that earned what they deserved because they put no effort into it but others that really should have gotten better; and I know that my hard working students knew the information. I can't figure out what's gone wrong. I obviously need the figures in front of me and national averages etc but it has completely caught me off guard and I am finding that I'm blaming myself, a lot.

I haven't slept in 30 hours and feel no desire to either; I'm not even sure I'll be walking into a job in a week or whether they'll have a revolving door set up.

Four marks in a grade boundary I find ridiculous. I worked out the last two questions could take a student from an A to an E. I just want to find out what they've done wrong or what I've done wrong. Other colleagues have also said that their AS results are not where they wanted them to be but this is the first time this has happened to me.

What's worse is it looked like an amazing exam for once.

BLARGH.

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Hmmm, okay... unless you have the data to hand there isn't much you can do at the moment is there... except perhaps relax and enjoy the upcoming bank holiday then take stock and review away. Is there someone responsible for data analysis at your school? I would speak to them when you can as they usually have an excellent overview.

Bonnie23 likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

So it's not new to you. You've done it before and you did the same thing this year? The cohort isn't that much different?

Well, with such narrow bands (4 marks) between grades it's hardly surprising you could have had some shock results.

That'll be no consolation if the school decides (despite the fact that this year is clearly anomalous) it's your fault. The fact is that it's not your fault. You are usually good at teaching and make accurate predictions so it's unlikely to be an issue with you. Don't doubt yourself. Don't. Ride it out.

NoseyMatronType and Bonnie23 like this.
  6. Bonnie23

Thank you, honestly I just feel ****. I've never seen such low results. The cohort are weaker but they are stil below where I would have put them for at least a third of the group. At the moment it just feels like I have failure stamped all over me.

I know they can resit next year but I don't want them to have to. I wanted a clean slate, exception of the one or two which will always resit, and then move onto bigger and better things.

I don't know what the other subjects are like in terms of grade boundaries but I was really shocked. Three years ago it was 5 marks lower for an A and there were 6 marks between each grade boundary.

7. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

Hi Bonnie, don't know what happened to the earlier thread but you don't become a bad teacher on the basis of one set of results and I wouldn't stay in a school that did take that line.

Anyway, my take home message from this morning is still this: try to obtain a photocopy of a sample of scripts that does not preclude the possibility of re-marks happening if you think that they have been marked too harshly. Your examinations officer should be able to arrange this.

bombaysapphire and Bonnie23 like this.
  8. Bonnie23

At the moment I just can't stop thinking about this and feeling awful. To the point it has put me off my food and drink and my panic attacks are getting worse.

I haven't even spoken to anyone in the school about the results yet and I'm surprised no one has contacted me.

I feel awful for the fact they didnt achieve what they should have and because of it I feel like I should resign. I just don't know how to handle this.

My parents want me to find a different career because they are sick of seeing me so stressed and upset.

The next week is going to be hell waiting to go back. I just can't put it to the back of my mind.

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Students often underperform at AS because in their heads it's 'only AS' and a) doesn't matter or b) can be resat.
    AS will soon disappear now they have be uncoupled from A levels. As for worrying about the 2 year course, it was like this long before AS levels and everyone coped fine. AS were brought in around 1997/98 so in the scheme of things are realtively new. At the time we all worried about how we'd cope with AS.
    What goes around comes around.

Bonnie23 and emerald52 like this.
  10. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

Bonnie, a very good book to get hold of to help you deal with panic attacks and anxiety is 'The Mindful Way Through Anxiety' by Orsilo and Roemer.

It's one of the best publications that I have read in this territory. There are plenty of online reviews of it if you Google for them.

emerald52 and Bonnie23 like this.
  11. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Great advice here. Once my AS results looked wrong. One student got their paper back; it looked wrongly marked. I managed to persuade more than 20% of the students to pay for a remark. All went up so the whole cohort was remarked free by the board. All went up, several by 11, 20 and 9 marks.

Bonnie23 likes this.