1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS Projectile motion problem

Discussion in 'Science' started by inneedoftea, Jan 22, 2016.

1. inneedoftea

inneedoftea New commenter

So,

Whilst doing a few end of topic questions with my class I came across the following problem ( Q7 page 78, Pearson textbook if you're interested):

A rock is dropped from a cliff of height 200m. At the same time an identical rock is launched horizontally from the top of the same cliff. Calculate:

1) Time taken for the rocks to hit the ground
    2) The horizontal distance between them, when they hit the ground.

Part 1 is fine- straight forward SUVAT. Am I missing something on part 2? I don't see how it's possible without knowing the horizontal velocity (not given)!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

2. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Horizontal distance does require the horizontal velocity.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

It's a typo. Without the initial horizontal velocity it can't be done. You could tell the pupils a value to use - or you could leave it as it is and turn it into a useful discussion point in class.

4. Jameslabtech

Jameslabtech New commenter

Sounds a bit less fun than the monkey and the hunter experiment but using similar theory.

Show them the monkey and hunter experiment, its fun to do in class :D

5. rich_hodgetts

rich_hodgetts New commenter

If there is an answer to this question in the back of the textbook you could use it to work back to the value of velocity used by the person who wrote the book. This would also be a good bit of problem solving for your students to attempt.

6. Orion

Orion New commenter

the secret with these is always to write two sets of S = U = V = etc.. down the page, add a subscript V or H

Next write 0 for anything which you know is zero and ? for anything you don't know.

Write all the formula out for V and H as they apply and simplify.

Then it is clearly not Physics any longer but a Maths puzzle.