1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS Physics Revision Cards?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Orion, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Orion

Orion New commenter

Hi,
    This is only really for AS Physics teachers but here it is. I have just created a mobile version of my site... http://www.animatedscience.co.uk it works really well in Android and iPhone and maybe other modern phones.
    The idea is that I am making a version of all my lesson resources in quick and easy mobile phone form so each topic key points (in text only) are easy for students to get hold of anywhere.
    My first test post is...AS Chapter 1 Matter and has all the revision notes required for the basics and a Revision card game on a PDF to download and print as well.
    Please try it out and if you like it let me know here. Any typos also let me know as it is a first draft that I am testing out. I plan on doing every topic in A-Level physics the same.
    I am planning that all be available free of charge but with an educational copyright for non-comercial explotation unless the downloads go crazy!
    Also you can still get the normal version if using a PC as well. Please use in your lessons as you wish

2. Orion

Orion New commenter

Yes that is right the main part is rich with a lot of paid for content which I cannot share due to copyright and can only use with my school.

However, the mobile bit that I said about will be enabled for all.

There is a lot of GCSE stuff which can can get to as well!

3. GOT IT - its under the RH Tab - Mobile Revision Instructions (or at least that is where it is on my PC - I don't do this modern stuff!)
    I've just skimmed a few sentences and I'm sure some of it might be useful (you can't give the darlings too many revision options). I spotted a couple of possible formatting errors (missing spaces) BUT it might be because I'm using Firefox).
    isc=fλ (Looks like no space between s & c, but not too bad here)
    energy andmomentum. (Looks like no space between d & m)
    Keep up the good work - I'm doing waves next term.[​IMG]

4. Orion

Orion New commenter

Good spot I changed that!
    I will start on Unit 2 now I have a system going!

5. Orion

Orion New commenter

Unit 2 is now on!

6. Orion

Orion New commenter

I also have got the revision cards on as well.
    Any issues let me know but our lot have found them really useful but you do need to print in colour!

7. Orion

Orion New commenter

Got the notes on for Quantum, just need to make the cards now!

8. Orion

Orion New commenter

Now got the first 4 chapters all done with revision cards as well....

9. Orion

Orion New commenter

Hi,
    No problems thanks you are right that is fine. I am editing away to try and get them as perfect as I can!
    Also I know what you mean but the Q=Ne i am trying to make it very simple and my students seem to get confused when I make it too complex! But you are right.
    Thanks

10. Orion

Orion New commenter

Hey,

if you check it out now for the first two chapters have a quick 10 or 15 question quiz to test if you learned anything!

11. Orion

Orion New commenter

Any takers?

Suppose not many Physics teachers out there!

12. This is an excellent site, and will be very useful for physics students.

It will take time for word to spread .... and it's probably a good idea NOT to push it strongly until it is complete. But when it is, there are a number of avenues which can be used to publicize it.

Students always love carefully worked examples, especially of the harder type of problem, where each step is explained, including possible false trails. The more of those you can include, the better.

13. steve_cooke

steve_cooke New commenter

I've told mine about them - I won't know until after Christmas whether they've used them. Thanks for sharing.

If you want physics teachers can I suggest the IOP site TalkPhysics.org

14. Orion

Orion New commenter

Hi,
    thanks for the feedback, hope it is of use!

15. Glad to see another teacher is having a crack at the app thing! I've recently finished an AS Biology Android app that is mainly made up of notes based on mark schemes [HICCUP AS Lite]. Keep up the great work!

16. Hi, I use the web site: http://www.buzztouch.com

It's free and really, really simple to set up an app for Android and iPhone.

Links can also be made to Excel, pdf files and a bunch of other stuff.

What's your Amazon Kindle Book?

Congrats on your first customer!

Regards,

Laz

17. Orion

Orion New commenter

This is the link to my book, well 10,000 words of revision notes really!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Particles-Electricity-Animated-Revision-ebook/dp/B006M4XMJY/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1323988201&sr=1-4

I had some students say that they would like it on their tablets so they can revise in bed with no wifi so the idea of kindle came in!

I had a look at buzztouch and it looks cool. However, as I did you can run a wordpress blog with a mobile theme and have total control which may be an idea as well. I like you quizzes they are better graphics than mine!

18. Orion

Orion New commenter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Particles-Electricity-Animated-Revision-ebook/dp/B006M4XMJY/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1323988201&sr=1-4

19. Could you give me some pointers about setting up a Kindle thing; looks really useful.

20. Orion

Orion New commenter

Basically you need to create a document in word with very simple format, if you try anything complex it will fail. Then sign up to a kindle writer account through the Amazon site. You then upload the document and wait 1 day and it appears!

I suggest you try a short one first to check if your format is ok.

You will need to charge 99 cents for a download as you cannot make it free.

Pretty simple really.