1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS level results

Discussion in 'Geography' started by hovis, Aug 26, 2011.

1. I work in a Primary school and need an answer please??
    My Son has just had his AS level results for geography- at Easter we were told that he was head and shoulders abover the rest and with a little more reading around the subject would be easily looking at A/B for his results at A2. His results however tell a very different story E & U !!!
    He got A* for GCSE along with several others in the class who were awarded A*/A for GCSE.
    Pupils who left and went to a different 6th form hwho had similar grades as my son at GCSE have had A A & A* A for their AS level and yet my son and his group have all slumped to E& U or worse U& U.
    I have my concerns that they will not be able to improve their results enough to impress Universities when they put in their applications and they are all having to do resist in January.

Could anyone who teaches AS/A" level hellp me out, I did witness my son revising perhaps not enough but am very concerned enough to move him.
    <strike></strike>
    Thanks<strike></strike>

2. I work in a Primary school and need an answer please??
    My Son has just had his AS level results for geography- at Easter we were told that he was head and shoulders abover the rest and with a little more reading around the subject would be easily looking at A/B for his results at A2. His results however tell a very different story E & U !!!
    He got A* for GCSE along with several others in the class who were awarded A*/A for GCSE.
    Pupils who left and went to a different 6th form hwho had similar grades as my son at GCSE have had A A & A* A for their AS level and yet my son and his group have all slumped to E& U or worse U& U.
    I have my concerns that they will not be able to improve their results enough to impress Universities when they put in their applications and they are all having to do resist in January.

Could anyone who teaches AS/A" level hellp me out, I did witness my son revising perhaps not enough but am very concerned enough to move him.
    <strike></strike>
    Thanks<strike></strike>

3. Hi there, sorry to hear about your son. If it's any consolation one of my students who got an A* in geography at GCSE just got an E for me in AS, it was because he just didn't put enough work in, he got through GCSEs with that same attitude but Alevels is a BIG step up.
    However, it sounds like there's something wrong here, have you spoken to the geography teacher about it? did he do a mock exam and if so what did he get? what was his raw mark? have you got back the marks for the individual questions in the exam or considered recalling his script so you can have a look?

4. I have considered recalling the paper and feel that I need to speak to someone about it !! The whole class did really poorly he had 29in G1 and 40in G2 as I say I work with 4 year olds and so do not really understand how the As level works I did not have to do them

5. e26

e26

I teach AS and I would say that I had several boys (who I also taught in GCSE) who got A* in GCSE really struggled with AS and were getting E's and U's throughout the year. This is partly because 1. they shouldn't really have got an A* at GCSE, and 2. the AS is so much harder. Basically what I'm trying to say is that the gap between them is huge. These boys in my class put in mimimal work and got an A*, so obviously thought that they could do the same for AS level. Throughout the year their work ethic improved and they ended up with C/D/E's. But there is a huge gap, AS requires essay writing skills for a start, which are not needed in GCSE. What did he get for English?