1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS-level maths trip

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by nickqk, May 19, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm trying to plan a trip for my school's AS level maths students (about 60) - does anyone have any ideas? The obvious places cater only for KS3 and KS4, and most of the rest focuses more on physics. So far, I've come up with Bletchley Park to look at cryptography, but I'd like a couple more options...
    It could be a business that's amenable to 60 students arriving one day, has the facilities for it and somebody who can talk to them about something interesting and specific to maths. Or it could be somebody doing interesting research at a university, coupled with a campus tour perhaps.
    They a mixed ability group from an outstanding but low-achieving inner-city school, and I'd like to broaden their horizons a bit. So if anybody's been on a good trip, any tips would be great!
    Thanks,
    Nick

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Too late for this year, but there's
    http://www.mathsinspiration.com/events.html
    Some of the MMP roadshows are suitable for KS5, although that would be them coming to you - maybe you could get together with other local schools to organise something.
    The Further Maths Support Programme sometimes offers enrichment events or things like "Maths at Uni", so it might be worth checking whether your region has anything on offer.

3. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

I was going to mention the maths inspiration days - excellent morning out! Ours was in Cambridge, and we tied it in with an early afternoon trip to a Cambridge college which put on an afternoon's chat with maths undergraduates and a tour round the college; alternatively they were also offering a tour round the Cambridge maths & sciences building - worth going to see just for the sake of it.