1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS level French Textbooks

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by abi1979, May 21, 2007.

1. Hi,
    We are currently looking to change textbooks for AS French as we are using Tout Droit and find it isn't suitable for all students. Furthermore there doesn't seem to be much of a transition between GCSE and AS and the layout isn't very appealing. I've had a look at Zenith and Tout Terrain, but would like some feedback on these or any other textbooks (if there are others!). We currently have a year 9 fasttrack who have just taken their GCSE French exam and the majority are going to do AS next year in Year 10/11 so we are looking for a textbook that would also be accessible/appealing to this age group.

Any ideas?!!
    Thanks! xx

2. Hi,
    We are currently looking to change textbooks for AS French as we are using Tout Droit and find it isn't suitable for all students. Furthermore there doesn't seem to be much of a transition between GCSE and AS and the layout isn't very appealing. I've had a look at Zenith and Tout Terrain, but would like some feedback on these or any other textbooks (if there are others!). We currently have a year 9 fasttrack who have just taken their GCSE French exam and the majority are going to do AS next year in Year 10/11 so we are looking for a textbook that would also be accessible/appealing to this age group.

Any ideas?!!
    Thanks! xx

3. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

I asked the very same question in a thread a couple of weeks ago as we want to change text book. I am seriously considering Tout Terrain, it looks the best thought through. It doesn't have any IT support though and the listening doesn't even come on CD - it's on tape!

We currently have Au Point (I've taught with this on and off for 10 years, new and old version. It's always seemed a bit odd to me) and I have used Zenith which was ok but still not the ideal. Some of the exercises seemed a bit random. I wouldn't buy it again.

Another poster recommended Elan. I don't know it.

I don't think any one course is the answer!

4. I would agree - I've used Elan and Au Point, but end up dipping into lots of books. I did think Elan was good (for AQA, I think). Au Point matches up well with Edexcel.

5. We use Elan and find it quite a good starting point tho' with any book you are going to have to supplement it. We have just put some Year 11 thro AS and A2 - they got A* in year 7 cos they were bilingual but it has taken a long time to get them to A level standards - it's not the language but the ideas. They just aren't able to deal with sophisticated ideas. Elan deals with topics fairly sympathetically especially in the first book.

6. It's crazy that one book is not enough! I've hardly used Tout Droit this year and opted for getting stuff off internet sites like www.lesclesjunior.com . I went to a conference last year on 'How to be an excellent AS teacher' and the speaker basically told us to throw the textbooks in the bin! I did follow that idea but I've spent ages making up resources and so I wouldn't mind a textbook 'backup'!! I might have a look at Elan/Tout Terrain then!

Oh and another thing.. maybe I should put this on another thread... but we want to change exam boards too - we're currently using OCR and think that it is extremely difficult and puts off potential AS French students. Are AQA or Edexcel any better? Thanks again!

7. At my current school we use Edexcel. There's a speaking exam (2 min presentation, 10 min discussion of topic, at least one unpredictable question); listening and writing (some t/f, getting gradually more difficult) and reading and writing (mainly reading, 150 words in French for the writing, based on a text/scenario provided). There is not the same emphasis on covering topics that I saw last year with AQA.

8. Remember in all this discussion that the A level exam syllabuses are changing in 2009. From September 2008 AS students will be starting the new syllabus. All the exam boards are changing their specifications. However there does still seem to be wide discrepancies between what they are offering. Edexcel A2 for instance will not have any listening or reading comp in its written paper. There will undoubtedly be new textbooks produced to go with the new syllabuses. AQA are getting theirs published by Nelson Thornes.

9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I posted a similar thread last year, and was given some useful suggestions. I made a note of the titles, and went to Grant and Cutler to check them out, but saw nothing that really looked great.

As far as exam boards are concerned, we decided to throw caution to the wind about Xmas time, and entered our AS candidates for the wjec French AS exam. We had been preparing them for OCR - having been with ocr for historical reasons, not being happy with it but not having had the gumption to change. We are really happy with the wjec set-up. The papers are far more accessible to candidates a year on from gcse. I recommend you send for some specimen papers and check them out. The online specification comes across as a bit vague, whereas if you check out the papers themselves, you'll be able to see better how it all fits together. It is very straightforward. So far we are really pleased we have made the move.