1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

As I'm no longer in the loop on this one...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by hhhh, Mar 27, 2020.

1. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

A friend who has an eleven year old asked if they have to do joined up writing in high school. I said that I thought they used to have to do it for Year 7-9 when they had tests then, but that I did not think that it would matter at GCSE or A-level. I gather there have been some issues which the parent has picked up on while 'home-schooling'. It's been quite a while since I taught children, so please could someone who does know tell me?
    Also asked me about getting through all the stuff for 'homeschooling' while having to do their own job from home-I said that I thought the school probably couldn't care less how much they do and will appreciate there's more serious things to worry about now-if I was still teaching in schools, IF the students return before the summer the HTs I've had wouldn't expect us to be moaning at parents for not completing work in these circumstances-does anyone know of ANY schools or teachers who would think differently, given the tragic news we're all hearing?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I am working with a year 6 pupil who has not been to school for quite some time (years) I have been trying hard this year (before the current shut out because of the V) to encourage better writing from her and have been encouraging her to work on cursive writing. I feel it has the benefit of making her feel more grown up.
    As regards KS3 & 4 I haven't come across issues re handwriting except for the writing has to be legible ! A pupil has to be able at times to write quickly and fluidly and cursive writing does lend itself to that.
    I remember in primary school our Year 6 teacher taught us how to do italic handwriting and we were encouraged to enter competitions. It has proved a useful skill lifelong. I would suggest a little time each day practising writing - copying poems perhaps trying to make it an enjoyable practical session.I am sure other, KS2 staff will have plenty of better ideas...

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

I agree that your friend should not worry about how much material to cover with her child while trying to work from home.

The schools won't be as you say worried about it and it is unrealistic to expect parents to replicate a school day.

Staying safe and well until this crisis is over is the goal.

As the post above says, in high school, it is important that the writing is legible. The idea about copying out poems using italic handwriting is good.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Stay safe, provide a structure and framework for children. Give them something to do, that will help them feel normal. great if they can feel a sense of progress and achievement. Definitely do not stress about school work in any way.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It will be far more useful to teachers if the children don't return to school as bags of nerves. Fluency in Shakespeare and Quantum Mechanics can wait. Lifelong education and all that.

agathamorse and monicabilongame like this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Does that mean they do not yet?
    For an eleven year old kid to have a non specified period at home with very little to do and barely an option to leave the house, I'd say this is probably the best chance they will have to begin the art of joined up handwriting. Why it would be taught not joined up in the first place, as it is in many countries, is often odd to me, but then I'm no Primary teacher.

When you get to do English GCSE the amount of writing to do in relation to the time you have to do it is actually beyond quite a few Y11 kids, including those who are "good at English".. The sheer volume of cursive you need to churn out at speed can make your hands tired. You see this in the final section of the paper generally-writing becoming loopier, more and more desperate, veering away from the line. If the kid reaches this juncture and cannot write their letters joined together it will take them even more time to write words. Their writing will impact on their grade. I guess.

In my secondary role,I do not teach actual handwriting. I do not know the pedagogy for unpacking it. But if ever there were a good case for more fun and indulgent self study by youtube for an 11 year old, surely this is it?

HelenREMfan and agathamorse like this.