1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS ICT (WJEC but may be others)

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by JohnRSS, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Having jumped ship from OCR to WJEC, for the upcoming year, I saw an interesting comment from the principal examiner in his report. The average mark for the IT1 exam was 2 marks off the floor of an E at 34.6. 2010: the same mean mark.

http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/13058.pdf and http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/11424.pdf
    Echoes of frying pans and fire, so I queried it. Why is the bar so high? Seems weird, offered our SLT.

The explanation is, if I understand it correctly, something like this: Ofqual insist on using standardisation data from KS4 to set the standard for AS. So if the average AS ICT student is a low ability performer at GCSE, that normative standard is used to set the same standard for AS. And before you ask, the stats concerned are not made public. So as the majority of students entering AS ICT often picked up low grades for their GCSEs, they are statistically fated to repeat the same standard.
    The JCQ stats show ICT is one of the most difficult AS courses to do well in (3rd from the bottom)

So now you know! It's your students' fault!

2. I'll have tto read that through a few timews but it's nice to get an explanation, sort of.

3. Interestingly(?) I checked the WJEC national stats today and both the AS and A2 pupil performances appeared to be up substantially in terms of distribution towards the higher grades (from memory 8% 'A's and 83% Passes for AS and 13+% 'A,A*' and 97% Passes for A2).
    Long way to go before we catch, say Maths at 27% 'A's................

4. I have just jumped ship too, what was OCR's for the summer? My kids did better in the exams this year.