1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"As expensive as London"

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by the hippo, Jan 22, 2020.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Someone recently told me that they had turned down a teaching post in Doha because it is "as expensive as London". Is this really the case? I mean, petrol is a bit cheaper in Doha and you do not have to pay the Congestion Charge. I do not think that they have brought in Council Tax. Most people living in Qatar do not have big heating bills during the winter months. I had heard on the grapevine that the QDC's prices have gone up a lot and of course teachers' salaries have stagnated, but is it really as expensive as London?

2. yasf

yasf Established commenter

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I had friends working in Doha who had been there 5 years but left at the end of last year. They main reason was the cost of living increase due to the economic/political blockade.

4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

The main issue is housing. If you own a house in London, then you can live there on a reasonable salary. If you're living in Doha then the chances are that your company is paying for the house.

5. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Whilst petrol is cheap, general day to day costs such as grocery shopping, internet, AC (in the summer), extracurricular activities for kids, flights to/from Doha etc are not as cheap as people think they are.

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

A lot is on par, but some of the biggest expenses are irrelevant (free house) or cheaper (petrol). So the typical expat salary/package will go MUCH further in Doha than London.

7. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Prices have gone up in the gulf. The weekly shopping bill is a deal more than it would be in UK and rising.
    As others have pointed out the housing is usually provided (and bills paid if you're lucky...but not always). Petrol is still cheaper than UK.
    The big expenditure is always the summer. It's so very hot that most people don't tend to hang around.Holidays are long..-2 to 3 months. If you haven't got a base back home you can end up spending a significant amount of what you saved over the year just to get through the summer...unless you choose to sweat it out in the gulf.

8. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

In my 5 years in Qatar I loved the summer. The place was empty so traffic was less lethal, malls were empty, my favourite shwarma place always had a parking spot right at the door, pools were empty and we could go visit friends without seeing crushed land cruisers on their roofs,

9. ggm78

ggm78 New commenter

The congestion charge is only in central London and only the mega rich live there!

10. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Pools are empty because no one in their right mind goes swimming in 40 plus degrees. An open invitation for skin cancer if ever there was one . However I agree on the emptiness. We have done one or two summers but if you're in the gulf for more than a couple of years you wouldn't want to spend every summer here so holiday costs do have to considered when thinking about moving.

11. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I agree. I had 2 children and the flight costs were increasing. Qatar Airways had a monopoly on direct flights to the UK and they charged a premium.
    I got really fit during the summer. Gym every day, walks in the evening. I also swam most days as I found I got used to the heat. The damage to my skin may yet to make itself known. I also improved my baking skills.

12. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

The London comparison is worth bearing in mind. Sometimes when you hear "lower cost of living" cited as one of the selling points for a school/city, it means lower with respect to London/SE. Numbeo, while not perfect, is a very useful resource to check out such things so long as you keep in mind that in some places the cost of living for an expat can be vastly different from the cost of living for a local.

towncryer likes this.
  13. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

I like Seville in the summer for similar reasons.

14. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

We live in Bangkok. Occasionally we travel to London. London is now very cheap for us because of the Brexit idiots. When we left the UK the pound bought 90 Baht. Today it buys 40. Obviously no-one in the UK knows this because I keep reading that the Pound is very strong.....but it ain't.

Gong Xi Fah Chai, as we used to say in Enfield.

Just don't breathe in as they say in Wuhan...(where that?)

Perce

15. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Hmmm, sounds a bit disingenuous albeit maybe unintentional. London is expensive. It becomes more affordable for expat teachers visiting for a short time in the summer from a location where they are paid very well compared to the local cost of living. From anywhere they are paid very well it’s very affordable,. Coming from any of the better paid schools in Bangkok even more so than most places. It ain’t cheap though. Try living there all year round on a package from the big three Bangkok schools - you would be better off living on an expat package in Latin America or one of the mid to low paying schools in Asia.

towncryer likes this.