1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

As exams in jan or not

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by anon326, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Hi!
    I'm HoD of A-level Psychology at a large FE college. Not all teachers enter students for the January exams but many do and I'm one of them for the following reasons:
    1. Most students want to get their first exam out of the way and have less to do in June.
    2. It gives the lazy a much needed kick up the rear end!
    3. They have a chance to resit in June if the first exam goes pear shaped!
    That said, I have the following stipulations which I introduced last year (This is my 2nd year as HoD at my current college):
    1. Resits are at MY discretion and neither automatic nor guaranteed (to the disgust of my A2 students last year esp the top grade students who wanted to resit to automatically inflate their mark and the lazy ones who wanted everything on a plate).
    2. It's only offered to those with grades D or less (because they need it)-D is the minimum grade at which their progression to A2 is guaranteed.
    3. They all have to attend exam workshops as a condition of their resit.
    Consequently, both my January and June pass rates were 10% above those from the year before I started. This is why I do the above.
    Hope this answer helps!

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

AS exams in Jan screw up all those subjects who don't have exams then - and put extra pressure on students who have several modules to take in (say) 2 out of 4 subjects, whilst having to keep up in the other 2.... Some unis (e.g. UCL) are getting wise to the trick of repeated exams. All in all I'm against it.

4. A-level system (pre curriculum 2000) not students.

5. They are not their. I hate typos!