1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS Education with reaserch methods

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by muffinmops, Apr 22, 2012.

1. muffinmops

muffinmops New commenter

Hello, Im teaching this course for the first time..

Does anyone use the P.E.R.V.E.R.T. acronym for research and if so, can you tell me if you apply it to the methods in context essay and the reaserch methods essay or is it just for research methods essay??

Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks a lot

Is anyone struggling to get through the crime and deviance course due to lack of time??

2. muffinmops

muffinmops New commenter

Hello, Im teaching this course for the first time..

Does anyone use the P.E.R.V.E.R.T. acronym for research and if so, can you tell me if you apply it to the methods in context essay and the reaserch methods essay or is it just for research methods essay??

Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks a lot

Is anyone struggling to get through the crime and deviance course due to lack of time??

3. Hiya,
    I only use PERVERT for research methods essays.When it comes to methods in context I always use research issue (RI) + research method (RM) + research characteristic (RC) = MiC answer. RI and RM are already identified in the question, and some RC's will be contained within the item. The SCLY4 MiC in Jan was quite nice, but the SCLY2 MiC was tricky.
    Unit 4 is hard to get done, which is why we took it on first, doing media this term. We have tried starting in Jan for examination in June, we have tried teaching methods one day a week through the year and then C&D from Jan to examine in June, but found that starting in September and sitting the paper in Jan has worked best for us and the students.
    Any other questions, feel free to message me.

4. I think the mian thing with the MiC question is the skill of application. Students have to take what they know about a method and apply it to a given research issue or question. So PERVERT can work fine in this context provided they are trying to relate it to the given research issue and not just the method in general.

5. Totally agree with the above. Just to clarify any confusion I may have caused with the little formula I posted - which in turn I picked up from a Keith Trobe seminar CPD - characteristics, as far as I'm concerned are the pieces of information that are identified in the item and what the students know, or can deduce from the context. However, to clarify:
    In terms of RI+RM+RC= MiC

The RI + RM are already identified by the question and item e.g. material deprivation and educational attainment.

The item will then include a paragraph (or two in unit 4), that will give a number of characteristics e.g. time, building of rapport and ensuring all kids get a chance to put their POV over. So, a sample response as I understand it, would read something like this:

Using unstructured interviews to assess the impact of material deprivation on educational attainment is beneficial as it allows the researcher to create a rapport with the students who, in turn learn that they can trust the researcher and that despite the potential of the researcher to appear as some kind of authority figure, the student can get past that and begin to open up to the researcher, which in turn helps to improve the validity of the research.
    Hope this helps clear any misunderstandings!
    Any queries, feel free to inbox me!
    [​IMG]

6. pwd

pwd

What is Pervert
    Is use grave
    Generalizability reliability access and pragmatics validity ethics

7. It's marked in terms of levels. Level 1 - Topic or Research Method only, Level 2 - Method applied to study of Education generally, Level 3 - Research Method applied to specific topic from the Q.