1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS Edexcel Unit 2 - monologues and duologues

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by smartiesryum, May 26, 2011.

1. I have complied a little booket to get the students to record all sorts of info about their monologues I then get them to use this to write their concept if you want a copy let me know

2. Hi smartiesryum,

I'd be really grateful for a copy, if you don't mind! Thanks very much,

[​IMG]

3. Hi
    I have a WPC which got 9/10 last year and I can give some advice towards how to structure the concepts if that helps anyone. Email me on nwyllie@hotmail.co.uk and I'll help you.
    I allow students to choose their monologues by reading a LOT of various texts (independently) and I start working practically on them in January. We do workshops on monologue texts, characterisation, backgrounds etc using all sorts of techniques to encourage the students to fully understand and appreciate thier characters - they then learn the lines and start performing them in front of each other and we do loads of feedback sessions - star and wish etc and encourage peer assessment. I also mark them as they are getting close to performance so that they know roughly what to expect and, as I'm a harsh marker, it makes them work even harder to try and get the illusive outstanding band.
    Nicky xxxx

4. Hi there,

Just needing a little help to make sure we stay on the right side of everything.

I have a girl who is 6 weeks before exam but has "just realised" that her monologue (from the Crucible) has another character in it who interjects at three or 4 points. The interjections do not add to the speech and mostly get talked over by Mary. Has anyone had any issue with doing a monologue like this in the past? We have chopped stuff around a little within limits previously and there hasn't been an obvious issue but with a little time to go we need to know whether she needs to rethink.

Please let me know any thoughts at all!!

Many thanks,
    Mike

5. From what I can remember, no one else is allowed on stage during the monologue.
    sorry!

6. Ignore the other character, and explain in the concept that, as Mary does not acknowledge her or respond to her, this is treated as a monologue.
    My candidates have performed to an invisible 'other' in previous years
    You cannot have the lines spoken by anyone offstage, and cannot have anyone else onstage

7. That's what I was thinking (I knew about not having another character it was more making sure that cutting it in this way was ok.)

Thank you very much.

8. I was wondering if anyone could let me know if EDEXCEL accept smaller sections of dialogue, set out as a monologue. I have a student wanting to show sections from Louise Page's Tissue. Individual sections are too short and she is wanting to group a few together but from different sections of the play.

Thanks