1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS Drama HELP!

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by crunchynut, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Hi 02teach.

Has nothing been covered with their previous teacher? Sounds like quite a stressful situation! I'd say choose texts you're very comfortable with as you might find you're a bit pushed for time now getting through all their Unit 1 stuff.

We tend to teach unit 1 til about Christmas for 7/9 lessons, with the Theatre Review and maybe some of the other Unit 1 coursework spilling over a little bit. For 2/9 lessons we teach the monologue from the beginning of September and aim to do it in about Feb/early March. We find this gives them a chance to develop their skills for that two minute performance, which helps them prepare for the longer group project, which we then do for 7/9 lessons from Christmas til beginning of May-ish. I know other schools do them on the same night or prefer to do the group first - guess it depends a lot on your students.

In comparison to the old spec the biggest change is the coursework. I think it used to be fairly easy on the old spec but they're looking for a much more sophisticate piece of work now. There's a discussion of it on another thread somewhere on here.

Metamorphosis and The Crucible sound good in that they're very contrasting and you could explore them in very different ways so, if you're comfortable with teaching them, I'd go with those.

Good luck with it all! :)