1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS contact hours

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by eatyourveg, Feb 17, 2011.

1. How much do you have per subject? From asking around, it seems it varies between 9 and 10 hours a fortnight. Is this the norm? My school is between 8hrs 20 and 8hrs 50 and wants to drop it by 35 mins, results average around C/D

2. How much do you have per subject? From asking around, it seems it varies between 9 and 10 hours a fortnight. Is this the norm? My school is between 8hrs 20 and 8hrs 50 and wants to drop it by 35 mins, results average around C/D

3. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

These days I guess you'll have to do some negotiation with management.
    Your results may be C/D which is hardly spectacular,,,,but how many students on the course?
    If there's less than 12 I'd say that in the managements eyes its not economically worthwhile to run the course.
    What would you prefer? a cut of 35 mins, or lose the whole 8hrs per fortnight?
    Ours are 9hrs/fortnight but less for small numbers. One course has very few numbers but seems to be kept alive because the results are so good (consistently 100% A-B) but now only 8 hrs at AS. A2 in that subject gets 8hrs but of that, 2hrs teaching is combined with a 'similar' subject with low numbers

4. Ours are 9 hours a fortnight too. There are usually 15-20 kids in the class (FE), but A2 Biology has 10 and A2 Physics has only 8.
    Not sure about other institutions as this is my first and only!

5. As long as they get the notional guided learning hours no-one is going to complain if you reduce actual contact time and attain grades your SMT will accept.
    4 - 5 hours per week is pretty much the norm, but that is very much 'average' and can vary greatly - one of our very optional subjects has 2 hours contact per week and a class of 7! The other GLH are made up of assignments/assessments and Moodle guidance.

6. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

yes. its increasingly clear these days that GLH does not just mean classroom contact. VLE target setting, assessment submission and feedback etc is considered part of GLH.

7. It's always been like that but man, are some places taking full advantage!
    Some specs now have Tutor Hours in bold on the course outline pages, just to make a point that there should be a minimal amount of contact time!
    I have noticed this more than usual this year whilst perusing the funded short courses !!