1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS Computer Science - Project

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by richard_hunt871, Sep 4, 2016.

1. richard_hunt871

richard_hunt871 New commenter

I'm setting up my A2 year classes for their Computer Science Project on OCR's specification.
    Unfortunately I have not been able to attend any of the OCR conferences and would appreciate if anyone has specific information about what OCR want to see in a finished project document.

In particular:
    What do OCR define as a feature of a program?
    - They are suggesting abstract thinking at the first stage so I imagine that it has to be the 'what not the how' for example: 'A method to record someones weight'. Rather than: 'An input box to record a person's weight'.

There is reference to why it is amenable to a computational approach.
    I can only assume this is a 'what else' argument. Why not do this on pen and paper? What benefits do computer systems bring? Speed, security, can prevent data replication etc.

Thanks,
    Richard

2. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

You are unlikely to get any crystal clear answers. OCR for as long as I've dealt with them seem to believe the way forward is obfuscation, obliqueness and prevarication, and nothing of clarity should ever be in writing, in case the punters follow their advice. Their decades long sophism is likely to continue for the foreseeable future. Sorry about that.