1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS Comedy Unit

Discussion in 'English' started by readingsez78, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Is A Midsummer Night's Dream strong enough for the new AQA AS course work unit on comedy? I'm really struggling with choosing texts. I think I'm pretty sold on The History Boys although Educating Rita is tempting and it's about to tour but I'm struggling with the second play: Comedy Of Errors? Twelfth Night? Much Ado? I'd love to study the dream in more depth than when I have looked at it at KS3 but I'm just not sure! Any help would be lovely.

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

'Dream' is a pretty typical comedy. I'd go for it.

3. sianna

sianna New commenter

I've taught the Dream a few times to AS groups. There's loads to get your teeth into - and there are lots of productions/DVDs which look at it in different ways.
    I use extracts from the Max Reinhardt film of 1935 (it's on youtube) as it is awesomely, gobsmackingly, brilliant to use to highlight themes of war, oppression, patriarchy, disguise, deceit, etc .and how these have (or have not) changed .. you can compare this version with the modern versions (Hollywood one with a strong Titania played by Michelle Pfeiffer(sp?) and Anna Friel who plays Hermia, and there's a channel 4 one which is weird and wonderful.
    There is loads of critical material available too.
    With regard to comedy - you can use it to highlight the conventions of comedy but then show how this play is actually not funny at all and is very nasty and sinister and you can discuss parental abuse, beastiality (they love this!), arranged marriage (which still happens - see Sun headline sometime last week), compare mortal and immortal worlds, the use of the supernatural ...
    It's a perfect choice!

4. Wow thank you everyone, that's great advice. I'll try and thrash some things out over the next few weeks and post them to see what you think. Thanks again

5. sianna

sianna New commenter

I've got loads of resources if you are interested.
    :))

6. Ooh I'd love to share resources. My email is sledger@nunthorpe.co.uk
    Anything you've got would be wonderful and let me know if you need anything and we'll swap.
    Thank you for your support.

7. Is there a published set text list? Where? Or are we free to choose our own...

8. For the coursework it looks as though we are pretty free to choose as long as the context of production element is taken into account. We should think about starting a collaboration link as it's new to most of us.

9. Hi Sianna

I am new to teaching As Level - I would really appreciate your resources. I really want to teach this well! Would you mind sharing them?

Thanks,
    Heather