1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS Biology work over the summer

Discussion in 'Science' started by KatyJo, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Our school asks us to set work for our new AS students (OCR) work to do over the summer in preparation for Yr 12. If you do the same I'd be interested to know what you set them to do as we've tried a few things with varying degrees of success. We've given them a set of worksheets from a publisher that are 'designed' for this purpose. We've also given them work to look at cellular structure.
    Just looking to improve what we do.
    I'm also interested to know which practical activities people use (particularly enzymes) as we are struggling to fit them in (I mean class practicals rather than the assessed activities).
    Thanks for any input.
    KJ

2. Our school asks us to set work for our new AS students (OCR) work to do over the summer in preparation for Yr 12. If you do the same I'd be interested to know what you set them to do as we've tried a few things with varying degrees of success. We've given them a set of worksheets from a publisher that are 'designed' for this purpose. We've also given them work to look at cellular structure.
    Just looking to improve what we do.
    I'm also interested to know which practical activities people use (particularly enzymes) as we are struggling to fit them in (I mean class practicals rather than the assessed activities).
    Thanks for any input.
    KJ

3. Hi
    We give our students a CGP Head Start to Biology Book. We do AQA but there are similar ones for all exam boards. It contains information about bridging the gap between GCSE and A-level especially for non-triple students. It has lots of information on the basic cell and enzyme topics which build nicely on year 11 work.
    I would also give your students a specimen paper for the first exam so they can look at the style of questions more than anything.
    Enzymes practicals:
    Using trypsin and phenolphalein indicator on the digestion of milk at different temperatures.
    Effect of different buffers on enzyme action?
    Hope thats useful
    NL

4. Thanks for all the ideas - they sound good to me!
    Any more?