1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS Art Themes

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by fayeedw, Sep 4, 2011.

1. As a new AS Art teacher I have been trying to decide on a project theme to run throughout the year that will keep students enthused and also allow me to teach new skills and techniques. Does anyone have any good recommendations that have worked well? Should I just have one continuing project theme or break the year up into different projects? I have been thinking about using 'Structures' which would allow me to look at elements of natural forms, architecture and the human form. Any thoughts? All help would be appreciated.

2. As a new AS Art teacher I have been trying to decide on a project theme to run throughout the year that will keep students enthused and also allow me to teach new skills and techniques. Does anyone have any good recommendations that have worked well? Should I just have one continuing project theme or break the year up into different projects? I have been thinking about using 'Structures' which would allow me to look at elements of natural forms, architecture and the human form. Any thoughts? All help would be appreciated.

3. Wolfiefish

Wolfiefish New commenter

(I shall reply to your post. Because it seems that people here are not that willing to help anyone, as no-one has replied to my post).
    I treat the AS year as getting to know the formal elements. The students tackle each formal element individually. With each formal element they study they get practise/experimentation with that element. They have to look at two artists minimum, and use this info to produce a piece of work which expresses that formal element.
    I usually go with the theme of portraits / the human body, as this gets the students looking at one particular theme from diffrent view points, by using different formal elements as their focus.
    I do get bored doing this and have successfully used rural / urban landscapes as a theme.
    After the formal elements, (which normally takes us to the end of January) I get the students to complete a small project of their own interest that ties up all their learning of the formal elements. Then after that it's exam time.
    Hope you find this info helpful.
    Good luck.

4. Thank you yes, that has been a great help and confirmed things. I sorry to hear no one has been able to help you, I will take a look at your post now.

Thank you one again.