1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS and A level grades and January exams

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Leopardo, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Does anyone know off hand.......

When you have your first 3 units results how is the AS grade decided?

Is it possible to do mechanics and stats in January of year 2?

2. Does anyone know off hand.......

When you have your first 3 units results how is the AS grade decided?

Is it possible to do mechanics and stats in January of year 2?

3. maths126

maths126 New commenter

You only "cash-in" your AS results as an AS Grade if you are not doing A2.

Otherwise they all go in the pot. It's the UMS points which are added up (best results from each attempt in the six modules) for cashing in anyway.

You can sit or re-sit the exams at any stage along the way. As often as you like.

For AS Grades, the conversion table is (for a max of 3 x 100 = 300)
    120 UMS points = E grade
    150 = D
    180 = C
    210 = B
    240 = A

Otherwise you wait until you have sat six papers and then add up your UMS marks (for a max of 6 x 100 = 600)
    240 = E
    300 = D
    360 = C
    420 = B
    480 = A

Hope this helps.

4. It all depends. Firstly, all Maths modules are worth 100UMS so each makes up one third of an AS, 1 sixth of an A2 but not all combinations are allowable.
    As far as doing both applied papers in Y2 goes, I'll use Edexcel as an example, but I think it works for all boards. To get an AS in Maths you need 2 pure maths modules (C1 and C2) plus an applied module (S1, M1 or D1), so if you left both the applied modules until Year 2 you wouldn't have completed an AS in Maths in Y1 BUT if you had done 3 pure maths modules (C1, C2 and C3) you could cash those in as an AS in Pure Maths (so students giving up at this point would get an AS, though it might well be with slightly lower marks than if they'd done C1, C2 and S1). This shouldn't stop you going on to take the 4th Pure Maths paper in Y2 (C4), plus 2 applied papers (e.g. S1&M1, S1&D1, S1&S2 - the letter or the number has to match) and getting an A2 in Maths at the end of the second year.

5. So if you get a C do you use 60 for your score or the % you actually got.

for instance Edexcel S1 pass rate for E is 49%-56% so do we use E = 40

so 55% = 40

And
    100% = A so A = 80

Is it me?

I have a student who got 100% in C1, won't these marks carry on to help his other grades?

6. 100%

I presume that you mean UMS points = 100

Once all the modules have been completed all of the UMS points are added

480 - 600 MS marks = Grade A

7. Though I am not sure what this means

"Edexcel S1 pass rate for E is 49%-56%"

A grade E has to be 120/300 = 40 UMS marks there is no % on the paper as it always has to be converted to UMS