1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AS/A2 Essay & short answers??

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Kmt41, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Kmt41

Kmt41 New commenter

I've posted a question on this before. Can anyone help me with how to structure an A2 philosophy & ethics essay (OCR). My studetns find it really hard and I am not 100% sure myself of how to structure an essay.

I've searched the net, looked at sample essay but I want a clear structure - like what's available for GCSE!

I'm getting desperate! Please any AS/ A2 teachers out there - how do you prepare studetns for an essay?

Help really appreciated!!

2. Kmt41

Kmt41 New commenter

I've posted a question on this before. Can anyone help me with how to structure an A2 philosophy & ethics essay (OCR). My studetns find it really hard and I am not 100% sure myself of how to structure an essay.

I've searched the net, looked at sample essay but I want a clear structure - like what's available for GCSE!

I'm getting desperate! Please any AS/ A2 teachers out there - how do you prepare studetns for an essay?

Help really appreciated!!

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

in simple words they don?t care what the students have to say

it there answer should be a outline of the arguments between philosophers...i.e. ST TA said....Hume said which disagrees with ST TA because ??...Kant said?which disagrees with Hume because .......etc

4. For QA I get them to plan following TEEK (Theory, Examples, Explanation of Examples, Keep to the Q). For ease in the AS exam, QB I get them to do paragraph for/against, then their own theory. In A2 it's kind of a mish-mash of the above depending on the Q. Have you been on the OCR website? They have some guidance. If not I may have some stuff I could email you from an exam marking course i went on for OCR.

Let me know.

T.

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

6. Kmt41

Kmt41 New commenter

Tiggerific,

Any suggestions would really help, please can you e-mail anthing you have, it will be very helpful.

I'm actually booked for some INSET this thursday in London with Jon Mayled so I shall ask him for some help!!

Thanks very much. I've just marked some A2 essays and I'm worried about how I'm going to fed back when I'm not sure myself how to structure the essay!!

tweeny1@googlemail.com

7. This sounds bitchy but it isn't meant that way; Should you have taken on A level teaching? You have obviously passed a degree and should use that expertise to improve your students work. Ensure that they are answering the question set, backing up viewpoints with examples and explaining the ideas presented rather than simply writing them out.

8. Okay, will hunt them out at school and email them on to you. Jon Mayled is fab, he should be able to give you all the advice you need.

T.

9. Dear Tiggerific,

Could I get a copy of what you have regarding the structure and marking of essays?

eve_oreilly@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance.

10. Hi,
    I'm not sure if still have have the essay structure material for OCR AS/A2 Religious Studies.
    So if you do, I would appreciate if you could send it to me, as I help teach and support AS students.
    neingroten@googlemail.com
    Many thanks,
    Sara

11. Can I have a copy as well please?

Thanks

Rob Collinson

rcollinson@stanborough.herts.sch.uk