1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

As a headteacher, what is the number one thing you care about and why?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by RhiaB, Feb 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RhiaB

RhiaB New commenter

In your role as a headteacher, what is the number one thing you care about and why?

For example, the thing you believe it is most important for you to deliver or enable; the thing which drives or motivates you each and every day?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hmn.

Why do you want to know that, @RhiaB ?

Just wondering . . .

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Sounds like an interview presentation to me...

Northhead likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Surely not, @Middlemarch ?

Isn't the basic understanding that although one might ask for help with the format of a presentation, or indeed of an application letter or similar, the content itself must come from the candidate, otherwise they wouldn't be able actually to do the job if appointed?

Best wishes

5. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

My fundamental bottom-line is that my secretary knows it's no sugar and not too much milk in my coffee. If she's not getting this right then who knows what else she's not paying attention to?

Oh and not assisting candidates who get all their ideas from the TES website...

Middlemarch likes this.
  6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

The number one thing I care about is how many days left until I retire!

Try that one RhiaB.

Dragonlady30 and Middlemarch like this.
  7. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I think it is fundamentally important to keep a check on the amount of A4 paper left so that there is enough to photocopy all those delightful worksheets.

Dragonlady30 and Middlemarch like this.
  8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Methinks we are not taking this seriously

Middlemarch likes this.
  9. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Keep biccies in the staffroom. Or chocolate. Or cake. Or any other delicious snacks.

Dragonlady30 and Jamietzu like this.
  10. Camokidmommy

And jamietzu, we are taking this seriously. Very, very, seriously.

11. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

I like to secretly eat all the biscuits and cake during lesson time so that when teachers come in the staffroom at lunchtime they're all gone.

s10327 and digoryvenn like this.
  12. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

And I thought that I was the only one.

digoryvenn likes this.
  13. Camokidmommy

Sometimes my biccies don't even make it as far as the staffroom!

digoryvenn likes this.
  14. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I have banned playtime so that I have more time to eat the bicccies.

15. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

Ha ha . Love these.

16. Middlemarch

Tee hee hee hee!

17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Shame it's got rather more replies than a couple of much more serious threads.

But not surprising

finisterre_277 likes this.
  18. Middlemarch

Nor is it surprising that you saw - and took - an opportunity to have a dig.

So tell me - which threads here on Headteachers do you reckon the heads concerned ought to have posted on, but did not?

19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The one about workplace dilemmas and what is happening in our schools re capability procedures, the one about observations and the evidence surrounding them (pretty important that one).

I don't call it having a dig, but I see why people do. These things need to be said. I would like to hear some opinions from people running schools. Do they actually do any of this? How are they assessing people and using capability? I appreciate that it's pretty difficult stuff to look at head on, especially the research etc on observations and the workplace dilemmas stuff - hence why it's not surprising that the topics don't get the traffic.

funkygirl likes this.
  20. Middlemarch

I replied on that one. if you're saying you'd expect more serving heads to reply than have done - the ones at fault (wrt the thread topic) are unlikely to think it's about them!