1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arty people?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doglover, Jul 6, 2011.

1. My 12 year old daughter has a bit of a flair for art. She has expressed a desire to explore this flair for art, on her bedroom walls (typical teenager!). Whilst I would like to support and encourage her talent, I am a bit reluctant to let her do it on her bedroom walls, just yet.
    I had suggested as an alternative, that she might like to buy a blank canvas, for example, and take some time to plan and draw, then paint what she wants to on this, and then see where we go from there.
    The problem is that I have no idea about drawing/painting on canvas or expensive this type of project may actually turn out to be, and was wondering if anyone could advise?

2. My mum went to Hobbycraft years ago and bought me and my 2 sisters the biggest piece of white card they do, you can use normal pens and felts and paint in it. We were then each allowed to decorate it and put in on our walls rather than posters. I still have it now.

3. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

The Works usually has all sorts of inexpensive art supplies, including canvas and paints. Sounds like a great summer hols project :)

4. If you want to go down the canvas route, you can buy pretty cheap tubes of acrylic paint, and cheap-ish brushes too, from places like The Works.
    An old piece of formica makes a good palette.

5. To be honest the wall and paint is probably the cheapest and easiest option. Mark off a square, paint it white as a starter and get some sample posts of emulsion for paint. If you get the vinyl emulsion stuff it's mixable with tubes of acrylic paints to give a bigger range of colour options!

6. I was allowed to paint on the chimney breast of my room and no more. We wall papered over it when we left, the new tenants commented that they'd never had an accent wall before [​IMG]
    But these days I would probably go the The Works and stock up on cheap paint, brushes and white card! Then upgrading to canvas if she sticks with it!

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I bought a huge canvas in The works, really cheap, about £6. Either that or use the wall, it can always be painted over.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

or find a bit of hardboard and coat the flat surface with a good primer...she can paint on that if using oils or acrylics:>

9. Let her paint on the wall. It is no hardship - it can be painted over!
    Other than that (or including that), you can buy canvases and reasonably priced acrylic paints. I wouldn't start her with oils as they take ages to dry (although you can add a medium to speed drying but that adds to your costs) and it is a different process to acrylics and can be frustrating for beginners.
    She might like to try watercolours - you can experiment a lot with them.
    Let her try all mediums (including the wall!) and see how she goes. My children love working with pastel crayons and I have some hmmm, sticks (not pastel), which we use with Jaxon crayons as an underlayer for patterns and then use these sticks (I shall think of the name in a minute) which we brush on with a torn up frottee fitted bed sheet. It is a wonderful technique I learned years ago and I have a big framed picture of my own in my living room.