1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Artists for children

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, Mar 22, 2012.

1. We're having an art week next term to tie in with the Olympics. Sounds good, eh? Each class has to pick a country (not this one!) to support, and you study an artist/some artists from there.
    I would have just chosen France because Monet's stuff is so beautiful it makes me think my heart might stop but the MFL co-ord got in there first! Spain has also definitely gone. I wanted to do Germany because I can speak Deutsch and it would be nice to be able to do a little with the kids. Also, all any of them think of if you say 'Germany' is bloody Hitler and this would be a good chance to teach something NICE to do with the place! Am having trouble finding any German art the kids would like, though..!
    I've been trawling the 'web and have only managed to come up with Escher and Warhol so thought I'd throw it open to you lovely people as you always have such great ideas...?? Thank u! x

2. We're having an art week next term to tie in with the Olympics. Sounds good, eh? Each class has to pick a country (not this one!) to support, and you study an artist/some artists from there.
    I would have just chosen France because Monet's stuff is so beautiful it makes me think my heart might stop but the MFL co-ord got in there first! Spain has also definitely gone. I wanted to do Germany because I can speak Deutsch and it would be nice to be able to do a little with the kids. Also, all any of them think of if you say 'Germany' is bloody Hitler and this would be a good chance to teach something NICE to do with the place! Am having trouble finding any German art the kids would like, though..!
    I've been trawling the 'web and have only managed to come up with Escher and Warhol so thought I'd throw it open to you lovely people as you always have such great ideas...?? Thank u! x

3. indigo987

indigo987 New commenter

[​IMG]
    Oooh Expressionism, probably the most appealing artist for kids is Franz Marc - lots of animals and nice geometric patterns.
    [​IMG]

4. indigo987

indigo987 New commenter

Or something a bit older - Caspar David Friedrich? I have used some of his landscapes as a stimulus for storytelling.
    [​IMG]

5. Hi Daria. Definitely going to watch an episode in bed later now!
    Ohhh that's definitely much brighter and jazzier than anything I'd found - thank you! I'd been looking at all this hideous Holbein stuff haha eek [​IMG]

6. ...I know this! I meant I thought I'd prob. ditch the Deutsch idea and go for one of these two and their respective countries!

7. OH Daria, I REALLY like those landscapes! Thanks for this! x

8. indigo987

indigo987 New commenter

Glad to help a Daria fan!

9. Not sure of the age of the children...but Munter (a little Miro-ish if that was one of the things attracting you to Spain), Purmann or August Macke.
    What about Austria too...I love Klimt.
    There's just too many to choose from! One of our curriculum weeks is an International Art Week each year and it feeds to an Open Studio event held in our county. Lots of "galleries" open their doors to the general public to show their work...and we join in displaying art from the week and previous year.
    We usually do have a class celebrating the UK though. It's really nice for the kids to know that WE are part of the international world of art. Think Andy Goldsworthy. We also ensure that each class studies at least 1 artist that is ALIVE...so children don't just know about famous "dead art".
    HAVE FUN :eek:)

10. Sorry, I should have said: they're Y3.
    I love Klimt. Had completely forgotten about that guy. His work looks like the illustrations from a really sumptuous chn.'s poetry collection or something. Oooh choices choices! x [​IMG]

11. Hundertwasser would be fabulous. The colours are great and the children absolutely love his work. He was from Austria. He did fantastic, crazy paintings and was also a bit of a crazy architect. Mine did some great collaborative giant canvasses (the pic below is Hundertwasser though, not ours!)
    [​IMG]