1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Artist or vandal?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Dec 9, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

An interesting example of 'vandalism'.

Banksy spray paints a couple of reindeer onto a wall. He is an "artist".

Person X adds red noses to the reindeer. He/she is a "vandal".

o_Oo_Oo_O

[​IMG]
    Image caption. The Banksy artwork shows Ryan on a bench being "pulled" by two reindeer

[​IMG]
    Image caption. A vandal sprayed the artwork with red noses on Monday evening

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-50715803

sbkrobson and install like this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

There is a rumour that Banksy gets permission. Whereas the vandal I assume didn't - unless Banksy is both the artist and the vandal.

I kind of like the finished product.

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Yes, it looks better-a nice bit of well placed red on lots of black and white.

While I'm here-did anyone read about the complaints against the shop Iceland for selling reindeer for Christmas? You've got to hate the double standard, because nobody that I've heard of has yet complained about Lidl donkey.

4. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Banksy is establishment ....the Status Quo of illustration....I daren't call it art.

install, nomad and artboyusa like this.
  5. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Person X isn't a vandal. Person X is a critic.
    And Banksy's art is about as edgy as a tame llama at the petting zoo.

magic surf bus and Kandahar like this.
  6. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I objected years ago to anyone valuing any art based solely on who did it. A paper plate signed by Picasso is worth virtually nothing as far as I am concerned. Nor am I impressed by anything very old with painting that is mediocre. I would not give wall/floorspace in my home for the rubbish created by Tracy Emin ( not sure of the spelling). Banksy, on the other hand can paint my side wall any time he/she likes and any competent artist is welcome to enhance it.

coffeekid and install like this.
  7. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’m a total ignoramus when it comes to art viewed as items being worth vast amounts of money. I just don’t get it. Why is one thing randomly deemed to be worth millions and another, equally wonderful, piece of art considered worthless?

I enjoy and stand in awe of certain pieces of art. Some has made me experience deep emotions or consider and question things I’d never thought of before or perhaps made me look at certain things and ideas in a totally different way. However, I’ve seen no single object in my entire life that I think is worth the many millions some are willing spend on them.

I’m a philistine, I know it. The global art industry and its concomitant economic infrastructures wouldn’t exist if everyone thought like me. Also, what would the mega-rich invest their billions in? There’s only so much property and gold one can buy.

A painting/sculpture/messy bed/ half a cow being worth vast sums reminds me of currency. Both works of art and £20 notes are only worth anything at all if everyone agrees to continue to believe that they are.

8. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

On a lighter note, how long before someone photoshops the Rees-Mogg reclining on the benches photo into that Banksy picture and posts it on Twitter. It’s an inevitability.

03EF68AA-167A-484A-83A3-504BFC1735D0.jpeg

07D686E2-1353-496B-80C8-59C51C218A93.jpeg

FormosaRed, install and nomad like this.
  9. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

install, lanokia and Jamvic like this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I bet Babs posts on TES.

[​IMG]

nomad and Jamvic like this.
  12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I feel the same way. I have this quote saved to my laptop screensaver :
    [​IMG]

Jamvic likes this.
  13. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D Don’t hold back Barbara, tell us what you really think.

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

When I was 15 my mates and I recreated Carl Andre's Equivalent VIII with builder's bricks outside the back of the school art rooms one lunchtime because we were bored:

[​IMG]

The Head of Art burst out of the fire exit door and threatened us with all manner of dire consequences if we didn't clear them up fast.

I lost all interest in the opinions of Art critics after that. :)

Jamvic and nomad like this.
  15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The difficulty would be surrounding Rees-Mogg with all his worldy possessions in bin bags. There simply wouldn't be enough bin bags.

Jamvic and nomad like this.
  16. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

The Tate leaves me cold.